Saturday, September 13, 2014

Henry Kissinger?

Today: My window screen was off and lying on the roof beyond my reach
 and requiring maintenance. The backyard of my estate.
After work this morning I was downtown Vancouver at a building where apparently according to a manager of sorts, a guy by sitting on a toilet caused $160, 000 damage to three floors via plumbing and a leak. Apparently there is likely more to the story than the usual means such as unknown objects...

With my type of satirical humour I of course thought this story was very classic.

Mr. Matt and I mysteriously were both breaking guts in laughter.

But I would not want such an event to happen in my building, of course, at least near my contents.

A group of us engaged is some philosophical discussion in this building. The manager of sorts that looked like a rock star from the 1960s was intellectual and humourous.

He presented, I must admit, an hilarious curse-filled verbal tirade against Henry Kissinger, which I could not dare attempt to transcribe on Blogger.

Mr. Kissinger supposedly one of the 15 most evil and powerful persons in the world.

And after all, much of the focus of this blog is the problem of evil and theodicy...

Mr. Matt then confused Mr. Kissinger with Edward Greenspan, or someone with a similar name, although it took awhile for the name Edward Greenspan to surface, and in the end no one knew, including Mr. Matt, the person Mr. Matt was meaning because he did not know who Henry Kissinger was.

And then the after midnight saga moved on to another building minus this manager of sorts and the $160, 000 of damage, for a theological discussion.

At building two, where Mr. Matt resides, Mr. Matt engaged in a friendly theological discussion with another evangelical in regard to God's sovereignty and the works of a believer, which I briefly participated in.

There was another gentlemen at the table that was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints and we briefly discussed his religious background from childhood and his expensive venturing into The Church of Scientology at a much later day and then going back to the Latter-day Saints.

My approach to ministry has changed over the years in that in dealing with people I am slightly more reserved theologically and philosophically and more outgoing socially.

Blogging, I realized somewhat the Satire And Theology was more popular than Dr. Russell Norman Murray pageview wise and that I needed to be somewhat less academic in dealing with persons than I was in the 1990s when I was working on my Christian degrees.

I needed to be a little more relatable and to use humour more often, when appropriate.

I therefore kept the argumentation with this gentlemen to a minimum, because I sensed he was not at a place where he wanted to seek religious truth through debate.

And he was sitting at a table on two occasions with three Christians that morning and so there was opportunity for evangelism.

To argue is to 'produce considerations designed to support a conclusion'. Blackburn (1996: 23).

I did not see that as primarily useful is this case because as noted he was not interested in debating.

Humanly speaking, acknowledging God's sovereign choice (Ephesians 1-2, Romans 8), if he was to become a Biblical Christian it would seem that an evangelistic method of simply listening and being in dialogue with Christians, which he was doing that morning would be the most effective method, most of the time.

Blackburn writes than an argument can be 'heated or protracted'. (1996: 23).

Thus would not suit the context here of having reasonable, effective communication with this person.

Premises are established from a conclusion with an argument. (1996: 23).

This gentlemen did acknowledge he held firmly to Latter-day Saint teachings exclusively, including that he could possibly become part of the God family, when I questioned on the issue.

I did use the argument, because I thought it was at the core of his religious faith and philosophy, that Isaiah 43, 44, and 45 state that there was no God formed before the God of the Hebrew Bible, and there will be no God formed after.

Therefore there is only one God.

Isaiah 43:10-11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the Lord, “And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me. 11 “I, even I, am the Lord, And there is no savior besides Me.

Isaiah 44:6-8 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

6 “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me. 7 ‘Who is like Me? Let him proclaim and declare it; Yes, let him recount it to Me in order, [a]From the time that I established the ancient [b]nation. And let them declare to them the things that are coming And the events that are going to take place. 8 ‘Do not tremble and do not be afraid; Have I not long since announced it to you and declared it? And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, Or is there any other Rock? I know of none.’”

Isaiah 45:5 New American Standard Bible (NASB) 5 “I am the Lord, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will [a]gird you, though you have not known Me;

Footnotes: Isaiah 45:5 Or arm

Other than that crucial point I basically listened to this man for the most part.

At the end he joined in the group prayer, although he did not personally pray.

As a group of persons, we Christians shared the good news, the gospel with the use of evangelism. Grenz (1999: 48). The argumentation was kept to a minimum.

BLACKBURN, SIMON (1996) Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy, Oxford, Oxford University Press. 

GRENZ, STANLEY J., DAVID GURETZKI and CHERITH FEE NORDLING (1999) Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, Downers Grove, Ill., InterVarsity Press.

Chuck at the museum the other day...

The usual driving to work...
This evening. I am impressed with how new mobile devices add light to photos without flash.

41 comments:

  1. A customer complaint to the Irish Railway Company. The following is a customer complaint to the Irish Railway Company.

    Gentlemen,
    I have been riding your trains daily for the last two years, and the service on your line seems to be getting worse every day. I am tired of standing in the aisle all the time on a 14-mile trip. I think the transportation system is worse than that enjoyed by people 2,000 years ago.

    Yours truly,
    Patrick Finnegan

    Dear Mr. Finnegan,
    We received your letter with reference to the shortcomings of our service and believe you are somewhat confused in your history. The only mode of transportation 2,000 years ago was by foot.
    Sincerely,
    Irish Railway Company

    Gentlemen,
    I am in receipt of your letter, and I think you are the ones who are confused in your history. If you will refer to the Bible and the Book of David, 9th Chapter, you will find that Balaam rode to town on his Ass.

    That... gentlemen, is something I have not been able to do on your train in the last two years!

    Yours truly,
    Patrick Finnegan


    ReplyDelete
  2. A little girl was talking to her teacher about whales.
    The teacher said it was physically impossible for a whale to swallow a human because even though it was a very large mammal its throat was very small.
    The little girl stated that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.
    Irritated, the teacher reiterated that a whale could not swallow a human; it was physically impossible.
    The little girl said, 'When I get to heaven I will ask Jonah'.
    The teacher asked, 'What if Jonah went to hell?'
    The little girl replied, 'Then you ask him'.


    ReplyDelete
  3. A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with her five and six year olds.
    After explaining the commandment to 'honour' thy Father and thy Mother, she asked, 'Is there a commandment that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sisters?'
    From the back, one little boy (the oldest of a family) answered, 'Thou shall not kill.'

    One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast on her brunette head.
    She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked, 'Why are some of your hairs white, Mum?'
    Her mother replied, 'Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white.'
    The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then said, 'Mummy, how come ALL of grandma's hairs are white?'

    ReplyDelete
  4. The children had all been photographed, and the teacher was trying to persuade them each to buy a copy of the group picture.
    'Just think how nice it will be to look at it when you are all grown up and say, 'There's Jennifer, she's a lawyer,' or 'That's Michael, He's a doctor.'
    A small voice at the back of the room rang out, 'And there's the teacher, she's dead.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know I had an identical twin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let in one bad goal but made good saves, even scored one with my left foot with my lack of what I would call pace. We won 10-2 and Chuck was a defensive star.

    Demonic Chuckles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For clarification, I would like to add that I was thinking of Hank Paulson - Secretary of the Treasury during 2008 financial crisis in US. However that sounds nothing like Kissinger either...

    As regards to the event of our evangelism and humourous discussions early Saturday morning, I found the conversations to be very refreshing and meaningful, and very respectful of each other's opinions, except my intolerance of strict Christian views.

    Overall a very good event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol...

    Classic all the way.

    And a blessing.

    Cheers, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt's Facebook Posting

    Quote

    FYI -- MTR Housing Candela Place and Karis Place made it into the news media when I invited blogging expert Russ Murray to our conversation club... The event ended up being a mixture of intense humour and evangelism... read on:

    ReplyDelete
  10. (link to my latest blog post, the $160, 000 sitting on the throne flood story, likely to become an urban legend)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess I have been a 'good boy' as CIBC VISA sent me a letter
    offering to boost my credit limit...

    Of course I will.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Hi to every , since Ӏ am reɑlly eager of rеading this weblog's post too be updated daily. It contains nice information. Here іs my web blog; pella windows vertical replaϲemеnt blinds san francisco ()

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept My web-site what is a good recumbent exercise bike on The Black

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does San Fran need a lot of closed blinds?

    Or is my blog beat fantastic?

    ReplyDelete
  15. [TONIGHT] Why Is Nobody Else Teaching THIS Stuff?...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cannot talk, my only form of communication has ever been blogging, way back in the 70s as a little child...

    I was the world's first blogger.

    This is why I need a like female, with no social skills, (no BO), a stalker, perhaps that masks IP address, but is cute and can bake.

    And is Christian...;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. God closes doors no man can open and God opens doors no man can close.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Facebook Page Statistics this week

    Women 56% of People Reached 50% of Your Fans

    Men 41% of People Reached 50% of Your Fans

    I appreciate the support...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopaedia Britannica

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can store and works effectively, are two different issues...

    ReplyDelete
  22. It takes the food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The average human dream lasts 2-3 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Men without hair on their chests are more likely to get cirrhosis of the liver than men with hair.

    ReplyDelete
  25. At the moment of conception, you spent about half an hour as a single cell.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There are about one trillion bacteria on each of your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The enamel in your teeth is the hardest substance in your body.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your teeth start growing 6 months before you are born.

    ReplyDelete
  30. When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dilate,

    and they do the same when you are looking at someone you hate. I did not know that!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your thumb is the same length of your nose.

    ReplyDelete