Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Harold Lindsell (PhD Edit)

Vancouver

British Columbia-trekearth
PhD edit from Dr. Harold Lindsell, former editor of Christianity Today:

Scripture Harold Lindsell explains that the inerrancy of Scripture is rejected by many within liberal churches.[1] He reasons that inerrancy equals infallibility and a trustworthy Bible.[2]

Within progressive churches the issue of everlasting punishment can be complicated by questioning of inerrancy of related verses. The issue of the trustworthiness of Scripture mentioned by Lindsell,[3] and as well the symbolic nature of the Biblical language describing everlasting hell, could create doubt concerning the doctrine of everlasting punishment within liberal churches.

Figurative literal language, in my mind, does not in Biblical terms mean mythological language, but not plain literal language.

Therefore, everlasting hell and punishment is not Biblically dismissed as fiction because it is not described plain literally. Lindsell would support a traditional understanding of Biblical revelation where he states that through special supernatural revelation in Scripture, Jesus Christ is revealed to selected persons.[4] He does not believe that a human being can be saved outside of this revelation.[5]

Traditionalists such as Lindsell, will view any move within the Christian Church away from Biblical teaching as a negative.[6] He provides the opinion that many Christian institutions have slowly over time moved away from orthodox, Biblical theology and have gone astray.[7]

Some from the conservative perspective, who answered this question in the affirmative, may view secular influence on the Church as leading it into error. This can be seen in many Christian Church contexts today. Lindsell analyses the issue of Scripture philosophically and acknowledges that within the Christian community there have been other non-traditional ways to look at the Bible. There have been debates within the Church over inerrancy, as in the Bible being without error. He states that the term infallible can be considered a synonym of the word inerrant in the context of the Bible. Lindsell (1976: 27).

LINDSELL, HAROLD (1976) The Battle for the Bible, Grand Rapids, Zondervan Publishing House. 

---

[1] Lindsell (1976: 201-202).
[2] Lindsell (1976: 19). I can support inerrancy for the original documents, which no longer exist. No copies or translations are inerrant.
[3] Lindsell (1976: 201-202).
[4] Lindsell (1976: 17).
[5] Lindsell (1976: 17).
[6] Lindsell (1976: 185).
[7] Lindsell (1976: 185).
[8] Lindsell (1976: 185).

31 comments:

  1. Once again off-topic, but I just finished 8 hours of a homework project today, and 7 hours on the same project yesterday. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. I have a job interview tomorrow, but it's merely a low-paying door-to-door sales job working 10 hours a day plus weekends. Not sure whether the pros outweigh the cons. Wish I could get a graphic design job, or a job in some type of ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Move your bowels with ease and regularity - no side effects

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are suggesting, that my bowels exchange place with my brain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as "a trustworthy Bible," some say the ESV Study Bible is one of the best. Personally, I currently use the NIV Study Bible and also the KJV, though I also have others.

    With so many versions and translations, many get confused. The KJV-Only crowd, which I disagree with, at least do have one version that they all agree upon, and it is certainly not a heretical version, so that is their main strength, I think.

    With so much political correctness, accusations of bigotry and racism being continuously thrown around, plus fear of offending Muslims, the main concern I have today is the dangers of a Bible version or translation that would fall prey to these things, and I have heard of at least a couple of them that have done just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray for you and as we have discussed can relate to your situation, somewhat.

    First on me, (selfish mode) but also to relate. Company lost corp. contract, but it appears my company wants me to stay and work other sites. I have also signed up and applied with the new company that is taking the corp. work.

    Hopefully I shall have a choice of two or more opps.

    Also contacted Work BC again in regard to career prospects re security licence, such as by-law work and even work with my PhD.

    Need to contact them today again before work as I have not heard back.

    Second with you sir, although we have never met in person I think a radical change, like I need, might be good.

    My thinking is relocate where you can if needed and it 'may' get you out of the career (and perhaps social?) rut you are in.

    I view you as very skilled and intelligent, and like me you need focus in different areas and more connections.

    Trying to be spiritual in Christ, but not spiritualizing, as I hate those lame answers.

    In somewhat ignorance, but care, also working through stuff...

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have liked for my academic career the NASB, and lately use the ESV equally.

    I prefer literal versions.

    Will use the KJV, based on newer, majority texts as well. Not anti-KJV.

    And use Greek versions and the Hebrew needs to be viewed, when needed.

    Lexicons are important.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. generic valium orange - drug test for valium

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is this valium and orange crush?

    Kind of like rum and coke?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good! The translator of your blog is great! Big hug, Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Women Can Lie too

    Two women were out for a Saturday stroll with their dogs.
    One had a Doberman and the other, a Chihuahua .
    As they walked down the street, the one with the Doberman said to her friend,
    "Let's go over to that bar for a drink."
    The lady with the Chihuahua said,
    "We can't go in there. We've got the dogs with us."

    The one with the Doberman said, "Just watch, and do as I do."
    They walked over to the bar and the one with the Doberman put on a pair of dark glasses and started to walk in ...

    the bouncer at the door said, "Sorry, lady, no pets allowed."
    The woman with the Doberman said, "You don't understand. This is my seeing-eye dog."
    The bouncer said, "A Doberman?"
    The woman said, "Yes, they're using them now. They're very good."
    The bouncer said, "OK, come on in."
    The lady with the Chihuahua thought that convincing him that a Chihuahua was a seeing-eye dog may be a bit more difficult,
    but thought, "What the heck," so she put on her dark glasses and started to walk in.
    Once again the bouncer said, "Sorry, lady, no pets allowed."
    The woman said, "You don't understand. This is my seeing-eye dog."
    The bouncer said, "A Chihuahua ?"

    The woman said indignantly, "A Chihuahua ?
    They gave me a bloomin' Chihuahua ?!?!??"

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother, who could pass for 50, was celebrating her 70th birthday. I phoned to say our family of seven wouldn't be by until later in the day as some of the children had morning commitments. To prepare her for an interrogation when we arrived, I explained that her third grade grandson's assignment that day was to interview an elderly person.

    A firm believer in getting homework done, my mother saw this as a legitimate excuse for our delay. "Of course," she reasoned, "he'll have to do that before you can come here."

    …..Mikey’s Funnies (http://www.mikeysFunnies.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (ChristianVoices@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with?
    I'm looking to strt my own blog in the near future but I'm having a tough time deciding
    between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems
    different thnen most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.
    P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, my two theology/philosophy blogs are customized, progressively by me, Bowman templates on Blogger.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been suggested that Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, is the fifth best President ever. Lincoln and Reagan are tied for first place. Seventeen others are tied for second place while twenty three others have tied for third. Jimmy Carter sits alone, in fourth place, while Obama takes his place at fifth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Foods You Should
    Never Mix With
    These Popular Supplements!

    The Dangerous Hidden Pitfalls of Today’s
    Popular Vitamins and How You Can Avoid Them

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know not to mix prescription drugs and alcohol...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fall asleep in 20 minutes or less!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 10 ways to tell if blood sugar is killing you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, if Mr. Sugar is stabbing, choking or shooting you...bad sign.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Neuroplasticity: how your brain is capable of change

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, but this appears a great challenge for fundamentalists of all types...

    ReplyDelete
  22. TIM, 54 - Want to be friends?

    ReplyDelete

  23. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you my web blog; website ()

    ReplyDelete
  24. Google still seems to be the place to be found and then Bing, that is as far as search engines.

    ReplyDelete