Friday, June 13, 2014

My Collections: Questionable Buys/Degrees & Methodology: Alistair Campbell

Castle Conwy, Wales






















Methodology: Alistair Campbell (PhD Edit)

Alistair Campbell (2000)(2007) also deals with several methodological issues concerning practical theology.[1]  One, practical theology is concerned with the study of specific social structures and individual initiatives from which God’s work can continue in the present world.[2] The hope is that this shall lead to renewal, and the source of this type of initiative and renewal can be found within or outside the life of the church.[3]  Basically, God’s work does not necessarily always have to be done within a Christian organization.[4]  A Christian for example, could be working for a secular organization feeding the poor, and/or working against numerous forms of social injustice. 

Two, Campbell explains that the functions of ordained ministry can no longer be seen as normative for the division of subject matter and the scope of work.[5] Campbell writes that acts of charity and such, which were in the past on the periphery of church work, need to move to the centre.[6]  I reason that the atoning and resurrection work of Christ for believers must remain an essential element of Christian preaching, teaching and ministry. 

Three, practical theology has a relationship to other theological disciplines which is ‘lateral’ rather than ‘linear.’[7]  Practical theology, by Campbell’s methodology, is not in a linear fashion following a canon of relevance as he describes it, nor is it connected to some type of orthodoxy.[8] My methodology and approach is somewhat different than Campbell’s.[9]  I agree that practical and empirical findings need to be objective in order to constructively critique theological systems, including Reformed theology in regard to theodicy and related issues.  I reason that if the theoretical, theological work in regard to theodicy is logically and reasonably done, it can contain truth.  As practical and empirical theology can also contain truth, I therefore am not as convinced as Campbell that practical theology will often lead to theological conclusions that are inconclusive and ambiguous.[10]  I must add if one assumes the theoretical nature of philosophical theology that is under review is inconclusive and ambiguous,[11] it is quite possible this will be the same result deduced from the related practical and empirical findings.[12] A traditional orthodox Christian perspective would be that Scripture, at least with primary doctrines, is not inconclusive or ambiguous, but trustworthy as the Holy Spirit inspired chosen persons to write the Scriptures and what is written is what God desired.

Four, since practical theology uses situation based methods, it is fragmentary and poorly systemized.[13]  Since it is constantly seeking out and presenting new situations,[14] it cannot present a comprehensive theology of itself.[15] These are strong words from Campbell,[16] but the critic should understand that this does not make empirical theology useless.  I can understand that Campbell is presenting an experimental theological approach in contrast to a theological system.[17]  Practical and empirical theology is a theological approach that examines theological systems, and is not a system in itself.[18] Within this thesis the practical and empirical approach and findings shall be used to critique and strengthen understanding of the theoretical theodicy discussed.[19]

Five, practical theology should result in concrete proposals developed to restructure the Christian Church in life, witness, fellowship and service.[20]  This should be true for the work of Christians within secular structures in society as well.[21] 

CAMPBELL, ALASTAIR (2000)(2007) ‘The Nature of Practical Theology’, in James Woodward and Stephen Pattison (eds.), The Blackwell Reader in Pastoral and Practical Theology, Oxford, Blackwell Publishing.



[1] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84-85).
[2] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84).
[3] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84).
[4] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84).
[5] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84).
[6] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84).
[7] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84-85).
[8] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84-85).
[9] Campbell (2000)(2007: 84-85).
[10] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[11] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[12] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[13] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[14] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[15] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[16] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[17] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[18] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[19] In particular in Chapter Six which discusses the questionnaire statistics.
[20] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).
[21] Campbell (2000)(2007: 85).

For balance, I will admit I found this useful years ago. Again life is not always black and white. Note I am at this point, early Saturday morning, uploading to You Tube/Blogger a second longer version of the 'buys' video... Thank you.

31 comments:

  1. Naymz
    Russell,

    We checked the web for Russell Murray and found 19 new items.

    Tend to your reputation




    Cheers,
    Tom & Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. @work

    Watching the vids, esp. the first which was the second one I did, there is the classic radio professional method of present with loud bass voice, enthuse, energy, which clearly is not my natural and then there is the more academic method. I have been criticized online for having such and have heard such of others on radio being critiqued for not having enough energy. There is the typical theological, academic dryer present which is more my style, although I have the satire element.

    Frankly, I have probe with both. The radio voice becomes too typical and after awhile the bass voice is irritating and not very soothing. I do not always want to be enthused but sometimes relaxed but not sleepy. Look at Bob Ross, he did not have a radio voice but was very successful. Even Don Steele, that I often do not agree with, has some good points and a good soft voice for web and radio.

    My questionable buys present may need a retry, I shall think about it, perhaps with Wondershare and effects. Comment if u care..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Online Reading Lessons
    Groupon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article Russ.

    Love

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the second version of 'buys' with more energy and more products is better. The first version is a little too much 'Romans' commentary version...

    But you readers be the judge...

    Thank you dear Mother that lives downstairs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Video #1 - The Mannequin Pis souvenir looks kind of like Han Solo trapped in carbonite.
    Sounds like Mahavishnu Orchestra is playing a live show across the street.

    Video #2 - Yup. Moms nag.

    Video #3 - Great use of sound effects to enhance your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A person necessarily lend a hand to make critically articles I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this particular put up amazing. Excellent task! I like what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the terrific works guys I've included you guys to our blogroll. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance. I must say that you've done a great job with this. Also, the blog loads super fast for me on Chrome. Superb Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Chuck.

    I try.

    Congrats, on buying a US spring knife from the military store where I bought mine.

    I like yours better for lighter weight/movement and outdoor use with longer blade.

    I like mine better for heavier weight/durability, street use and quicker spring action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am misunderstood sometimes:

    Dr. DC stated last month in our chat:

    Obvious via blogs I was looking for a relationship.

    Well, so are most singles on line.

    I am as Mr. Matt states, 'Direct' with no BS in a theological, philosophical manner.

    Co-workers @ work, probably four at least have asked me if I would like to have a relationship as in why I do not have one, as in why I do not pursue more. Basically why I lack desire. Why I do not talk to more persons at work and I do talk to some.

    They would have a different perception somewhat?

    I am more so strong in my Christian stance than desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When someone writes an post he/she keeps the plan of a user
    in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of it. Therefore that's why this article is
    outstdanding. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't swallow one microgram of Astaxanthin until you see THIS

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when folks get together and share ideas. Great site, continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lips are sealed



    In the next few weeks the United Nations
    conference is being held less than a mile from
    my home.

    I just hope them pesky CIA guys don't want
    to know secrets like this.

    I am not giving up my best business building
    secrets to anyone...but you!

    Check this out!

    Cheers

    Anthony

    PS. Keep it quiet ;)

    Our little secret


    ReplyDelete
  14. I am 'sure' the CIA, CSIS, FBI, and 'FBO' are so concerned...

    ReplyDelete

  15. I love it when folks get together and share ideas. Great site, continue the good work! Feel free to surf to my web blog ... attorney in tampa fl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest One,

    I am writing this message to you with tears and pains in my
    heart.


    I am introducing my self as Miss Mariam.onye


    , the only Daughter of late Mr & Mrs Adou onye, I wish to request for your assistance in a financial Transaction and I wish to invest in Manufacturing and real estate management in your country. I have Three Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars that you will help me to invest in your countr


    My late father was poison to death by his business associate on their outgoing for business discussion, Before his death he secretly called me on his sick bed at the hospital that he has deposited the sum of US$3.5 Million in a fixed deposit at a local bank in our country here he has put my name has the next of kin at the bank. That i should seek for a sincere foreign partner that i can trust that can help me to invest this money in his country so that i can go to his country to continue my education so that his family will not kill me because of this money

    I promise to offer you 15% of the total money after the successful transfer of this money into your account. All the legal documents of this money has been handed over to me which i will send to you for your view to help me from your heart and take me as your daughter.Contact me via email address if interested.
    (Meriam.onye@gmail.com)
    Awaiting your immediate response
    Yours sincerely,
    Miss Mariam onye

    ReplyDelete
  17. Time is running out .. don't miss out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Want EVERYTHING done for YOU...?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Want EVERYTHING done for YOU...?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why do I appear a Game of Thrones King wanna a be?

    ReplyDelete
  21. $400 - 3 days? For You - :)

    ReplyDelete


  22. Why is it that doctors and attorneys call what they do 'practice'?



    Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?




    Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brokers do not worry me but it is all the jokers around today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, what do mosquitoes kill that we need in the ecology I wonder?

    ReplyDelete