Saturday, November 23, 2013

Escapism

Danish winter-trekearth

A very cold winter like temperature and wind chill is here in the Lower Mainland already.

My Mom, that is basically deaf and cannot hear the television well is downstairs watching Hockey Night in Canada and I hear her state 'The Canucks scored'.

No Mom, that is the Leafs.

She confuses the royal blue with white Leafs with the royal blue with white and green, Canucks. When they are both on the road, just alternate the blue and white. It is also confusing for certain seniors and non-hockey fans, I suppose, that often the Leafs start the program and when the game ends the network immediately switches to the Canucks. As well since 2011 there is the Jets, version two, that wear royal blue with sky blue and white, alternating the blue and white for road games. To make matters worse the Jets have a red leaf on their uniform, contrasted by the Leafs blue one, but certainly enough to confuse a casual observer.

In Canada basically the three largest cities Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, especially the first two, dominate the national sports media and National Hockey League media and the four smaller hockey markets and other markets in other sports leagues, tend to be secondary on a national level.

Mom just yelled upstairs, 'The game is going into overtime and I don't see the twins (Sedins) playing tonight.

Me:

'Mom that is because you are watching Toronto, the Canucks are on next'.

Mom:

'No, it is the Canucks, oh, maybe you are right'.

Later

Mom:

'Vancouver is playing next!'

Escapism

I discussed the subject of 'Escapism' briefly in my 2003 British MPhil thesis, but although I will note and document it here, that is not the context of this 2013 post.

From Woods:

Escapism: Interestingly, Woods tried to categorize eastern religions as one group who did not deny God but attempted to escape suffering. Woods made two valid points in regard to Islam and Hinduism, but it must be noted that they are different in that Islam is a monotheist faith, Hinduism being polytheist. The fact that they have drastically different concepts of God alone means that they do not fit under the same religious umbrella. A concept that both faiths have in common is the denial of Christ’s work alone being essential for salvation, but these denials are true of all non-Christian philosophy.

For this post the Concise Oxford Dictionary will suffice where it states escapism is 'the tendency to seek distraction and relief from reality, especially in the arts or through fantasy.' Oxford (1995: 460).

I take a moderate and mixed philosophical position on escapism.

On the 'pro' side, I am in favour of escapism as I think it is at times a God-given, reasonable philosophical, practical approach to life. Work as in employment, academy study, domestic life and exercise can be physically and mentally tiring and escaping to the worlds of art, as is music, fine arts, film and television for example, or the world of sports, or video games can be relaxing and educational endeavors away from the more serious work of life.

On the 'con' side, escapism can become too frequent and intense and used as a way to avoid the challenges of life that may seem too daunting, or there is little obvious hope in overcoming certain difficulties.

This can lead to for example, one playing far too many video games instead of improving one's career or social life. It could lead one to watching all the National Football games on Sunday, at the expense of family and friends and not taking social opportunities to meet new people. Another example in the area of the arts, is to spend too much time watching films, or downloading MP3s instead of seeking to better one's career, family life and overall social life.

I would deduce with the busy lives of many in the Western World and the amounts of various types of work that there is often too much escapism in the West.

From a Christian perspective with New Testament commands and directives in regard to love of God and others, both in and outside of the church (John 15, Matthew 22, Mark 12) and the call for discipleship and mission (Matthew 28), it is reasonable that God does desire and command a very significant focus on the reality of life.

Not only various types of work, family and social life, but also a significant focus on ministry and mission.

Personally, I play far less video games than I did prior to leaving for England and eventually Wales to study. I use the internet and web for career, ministry and social means, but limit my use, as I do not blog on Facebook or Google+, for example, and am attempting to increase real life interactions.

I fully admit I am very much in process, but I am not trying to escape becoming something better and more useful within the Kingdom.

Concise Oxford Dictionary (1995), Oxford, Clarendon Press.

WOODS, B.W. (1974) Christians in Pain, Grand Rapids, Baker Book House.

English Bay-Caron Smed, Vancouver BC

33 comments:

  1. This discovery could be problematic for many who are sold on human macro-evolution...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW TO READ BAR CODES...(very good to know)

    I am going to watch those bar codes a LOT more now... I am busy reading the ingredients..

    Boy.. shopping is a full time job!!!



    ALWAYS READ THE LABELS ON THE FOODS YOU BUY--NO MATTER WHAT THE FRONT OF THE BOX OR PACKAGE SAYS, TURN IT OVER AND READ THE BACK---CAREFULLY!



    With all the food and pet products now coming from China , it is best to make sure you read label at the grocery store and especially Walmart when buying food products.





    Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located.

    It is important to read the bar code to track it's origin.



    How to read Bar Codes .... interesting!



    This may be useful to know when grocery shopping, if it's a concern to you.



    GREAT WAY TO "BUY USA & CANADA " AND NOT FROM CHINA!!

    mime-attachment.jpg

    The whole world is concerned about China-made "black hearted goods".

    Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or China ?



    If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.

    471 is Made in Taiwan .

    This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the

    public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.



    Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made.



    However, you may now refer to the barcode - remember if the first 3 digits are:



    690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA

    00 - 09 ... USA & CANADA

    30 - 37 FRANCE

    40 - 44 GERMANY

    471 ... Taiwan

    49 .... JAPAN

    50 ... UK



    BUY USA & CANADIAN MADE by watching for "0" at the beginning of the number.

    We need every boost we can get! Pass this on to everybody on your E-Mail Contact List!!




    If the government won't help us, we MUST help ourselves.





    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I just did a little reading and a bar code may represent one country, as in the company but still be manufactured in another. So for example, registered in Canada, made in India.

    2. It is fine philosophically to state 'buy Canadian', 'buy from British Columbia', buy within Maple Ridge, but as a consumer I still need to factor in quality and price.

    Offer me good to excellent quality and a reasonable to very good price and I will attempt to philosophically buy more local.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar which has Madhura rasa or sweet taste increases energy
    according to principles of ayurveda. If you try to change everything at once and tackle huge goals with little result, you can
    get frustrated and depressed. By a basic go through
    the computer mouse button, you can art produce just the maximum amount of health
    information as you would like withinside type of
    accounts.

    Here is my page :: ipay.adp.com\/login.jsf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of sugar...

    I took the Boss out shopping today and I suggested she make graham wafer cake for holiday season earlier. She bought fine sugar bag, but by the time it was in the condo it was in the common hallway, on the kitchen cupboard and on the kitchen floor...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stress is one of the biggest problems of modern life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think escaping from stress can be a good, at times.

    I think solving stress is better.

    But easier said than done...

    ReplyDelete
  8. $200 if you upload this OP5

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Anonymous said...
    $200 if you upload this OP5'

    Upload me a cheque...

    ReplyDelete
  10. THE CHRISTMAS PAGEANT


    My husband and I had been happily
    married (most of the time)
    for five years
    but hadn't been blessed with a baby.

    I decided to do some serious
    praying and promised God
    that if he would give us a child,
    I would be a perfect mother,
    love it with all my heart
    and raise it with His word
    as my guide.

    God answered my prayers
    and blessed us with a son.

    The next year God blessed us
    with another son.
    The following year,
    He blessed us with
    yet another son.
    The year after that we
    were blessed with a daughter.

    My husband thought we'd
    been blessed right into poverty.
    We now had four children,
    and the oldest was only
    four years old.

    I learned never to ask God
    for anything unless I meant it.
    As a minister once told me,
    'If you pray for rain,
    make sure you carry an umbrella.'

    I began reading a few verses
    of the Bible to the children
    each day as they lay in their cribs.

    I was off to a good start.
    God had entrusted me
    with four children and
    I didn't want to disappoint Him.

    I tried to be patient the day
    the children smashed
    two dozen eggs on
    the kitchen floor searching
    for baby chicks.

    I tried to be understanding...

    when they started a hotel for
    homeless frogs in the spare bedroom,
    although it took me nearly two
    hours to catch all twenty-three frogs.

    When my daughter poured
    ketchup all over herself and
    rolled up in a blanket to see
    how it felt to be a hot dog,
    I tried to see the humor
    rather than the mess.

    In spite of changing over
    twenty-five thousand diapers,
    never eating a hot meal
    and never sleeping for more
    than thirty minutes at a time,
    I still thank God daily for my children.

    While I couldn't keep my promise
    to be a perfect mother -
    I didn't even come close...
    I did keep my promise
    to raise them in the Word of God.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew I was missing the mark
    just a little when I told
    my daughter we were going
    to church to worship God,
    and she wanted to bring
    a bar of soap along to
    'wash up' Jesus, too.
    Something was lost
    in the translation when

    I explained that
    God gave us everlasting life,
    and my son thought it was
    generous of God to give
    us his 'last wife.'

    My proudest moment came
    during the children's
    Christmas pageant.

    My daughter was playing Mary,

    two of my sons were shepherds

    and my youngest son was a wise man.

    This was their moment to shine.

    My five-year-old shepherd
    had practiced his line,
    'We found the babe wrapped
    in swaddling clothes.'

    But he was nervous and said,
    'The baby was wrapped
    in wrinkled clothes.'
    My four-year-old 'Mary' said,
    'That's not 'wrinkled clothes,' silly.

    That's dirty, rotten clothes.'
    A wrestling match broke out
    between Mary and the shepherd
    and was stopped by an angel,
    who bent her halo and lost
    her left wing.

    I slouched a little lower
    in my seat when Mary
    dropped the doll representing
    Baby Jesus, and it bounced
    down the aisle crying,
    'Mama-mama.'

    Mary grabbed the doll,
    wrapped it back up
    and held it tightly as
    the wise men arrived.

    My other son stepped forward
    wearing a bathrobe
    and a paper crown,
    knelt at the manger
    and announced,
    'We are the three wise men,
    and we are bringing gifts
    of gold,
    common sense,
    and fur.

    The congregation
    dissolved into laughter,
    and the pageant
    got a standing ovation.

    'I've never enjoyed a Christmas
    program as much as this one,'
    laughed the pastor,
    wiping tears from his eyes.

    'For the rest of my life,
    I'll never hear the
    Christmas story without
    thinking of
    gold,
    common sense
    and fur.'

    My children are my pride
    and my joy and my greatest
    blessing,' I said as I dug
    through my purse for an aspirin.

    Jesus had no servants,
    yet they called Him Master.

    Had no degree,
    yet they called Him Teacher.

    Had no medicines,
    yet they called Him Healer.

    Had no army,
    yet kings feared Him.

    He won no military battles,
    yet He conquered the world.

    He committed no crime,
    yet they crucified Him.

    He was buried in a tomb,
    yet He lives today.

    Feel honored
    to serve such a Leader
    who loves us.




    GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superhuman Selling Skillz

    ReplyDelete
  13. INTERNET Job Offer (open now)

    ReplyDelete
  14. PennyStockProphet - CLDS - .10 Cent Cloud Security Pick On High Alert For Monday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your ebay $ training [Do this today before Cyber Monday]

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm SORRY, apology inside...

    ReplyDelete
  17. 'Feel honored
    to serve such a Leader
    who loves us.'

    There is no greater honour than serving the true God, although there are many struggles in this fallen realm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'Anonymous said...
    Superhuman Selling Skillz'

    Superhuman spelling...

    ReplyDelete
  19. 'Anonymous Anonymous said...
    For You ONLY!'

    Laughable...

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'Anonymous said...
    INTERNET Job Offer (open now)'

    Selling systems?

    I would want a big cut...;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 'Anonymous said...
    How to use the telephone'

    Uhh, grade one, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'Anonymous said...
    PennyStockProphet - CLDS - .10 Cent Cloud Security Pick On High Alert For Monday'

    'CLDS' is that a related to the LDS or FLDS?

    Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  23. 'Anonymous said...
    Your ebay $ training [Do this today before Cyber Monday]'

    In today's pc western world, perhaps there is egay training...

    ReplyDelete
  24. 'Anonymous said...
    I'm SORRY, apology inside...'

    My heart would be more warmed by baked cookies...

    ReplyDelete