Saturday, August 14, 2010

E-books and Blogger Next Blog


Trees, Versailles, France (trekearth.com)

E-books

As many of you will realize, with my four academic degrees (my PhD pass is promised to arrive soon in the mail) and two theological blogs, I have spent a lot of time on Christian/religious studies for free.

At times it was 30+ hours on thesis and 20-30 hours on blogging, weekly.

But in reality this is both ministry and business.

I will soon look for work as a professor with my upgraded Curriculum Vitae.

I have started an e-book (or ebook) business.

My first e-book is done and now I am just finalizing the new website, payment plans and related.

I will market the e-books on thekingpin68 and satire and theology as well.

The first e-book is concerning the philosophical, political, aspects of writing a successful PhD thesis, especially in a semi-hostile department and via distance learning. It will present a non-politically correct way of looking at the topic.

It will not be like materials written by employees of Universities/Colleges where one is instructed how to write a thesis. Although, I do provide some technical advice.

My second e-book will probably concern the problem of evil.

Big surprise to my readers...

Blogger Next Blog

I have stated on this blog previously:

'Theology is not to be done at the expense of the Scripture, but within a correct study of that Scripture. Shedd reasons that ‘methods of investigation are continually undergoing correction and modification’ and this can lead to better organization of the subject. Shedd (1874-1890)(1980: 4 Volume 1). Theology is always considered in the light of cultural and historical setting of the day, the implication being that a culture will influence theology and therefore theology needs to be scrutinized with this concept always in mind. This however, should never alter essential Biblical doctrines found by studying Scripture in context.'

'Erickson explains that although Scripture presents objective truth, the application of Scripture may be different for each person. Even if one reasons that objective truth exists, each person subjectively with his/her own mindset deals with data and knowledge in an individualistic way. There needs to be solid church teachings that adequately explain Biblical doctrines within their original context, staying true to Biblical theology, and yet teaching should be flexible enough to provide explanations that vary at times in order to be relatable to differing modern groups and individuals.'

I use Blogger Next Blog and web searches to help find Christian bloggers.

I reason:

Christian theological blogging can include various types of bloggers which can be found via web seaching. As one can see from my links lists on thekingpin68 and satire and theology, I link with a variety of people, mostly Christians, from various countries and of various ages, both male and female.

As a result various theological perspectives are provided when persons comment.

To me, this constitutes a cultural development of theology.

ERICKSON, MILLARD (1994) Christian Theology, Grand Rapids, Baker Book House.

SHEDD, WILLIAM G.T. (1874-1890)(1980) Dogmatic Theology, Volumes 1 and 2, Nashville, Thomas Nelson Publishers.

In this post I will feature ten of my favourite desktop photos I have collected.


I picked this up off of StumbleUpon. I have never seen or touched in person light blue water like that.


South Wales, United Kingdom (trekearth.com)

I would love that as my backyard.


Campo Del Moro, Madrid, Spain (trekearth.com)

This seems like such a cool place to take in a lecture, or teach one. Either in the building or even better out on the grass on a sunny day.


Conwy Gardens, Wales, 2001 (thekingpin68)


Conway overview, Wales 2001 (thekingpin68)

I am in no way a profession photographer but I like a few of my photos. They are not the best technically in my collection, but a few of mine have the scenes I want.




Grand Canyon, Australia


Princeton University

Seems like a very scenic place.


Maple Ridge, BC (thekingpin68)

A photo I took here at my complex. I have no plans at staying here long term, but it is a reminder that despite all my troubles from situations and people there is beauty where I am at.

32 comments:

  1. May God help you finding a new position!

    I like your quote from Erickson, although it in itself represents a huge challenge for studying scripture: 'within their original context'. Likewise, to look at historical theological writings 'in the light of cultural and historical settings' is also a massive effort even if we restrict ourselves to only one theologian.

    Recently my reading has left me thinking not so much of the results of theology, but the questions that are raised and methods of analysis employed as we take a tour through the historical church. We can start with our current theological priorities and then search for answers through history, but it seems to me that there is a different endeavor altogether to consider how much time was spent on what questions in different ages. Do you know of any resources along this line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great presentation, fantastic pictures. Your readers will be encouraged to pass info to others who are going through PhD or lesser degree. E-book is well documented and contains important bits students are not always aware of. May you have much success in marketing. God is with you! You have a wonderful future ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'May God help you finding a new position!'

    Thank you, Looney.

    'Recently my reading has left me thinking not so much of the results of theology, but the questions that are raised and methods of analysis employed as we take a tour through the historical church. We can start with our current theological priorities and then search for answers through history, but it seems to me that there is a different endeavor altogether to consider how much time was spent on what questions in different ages. Do you know of any resources along this line?'

    British empirical and practical theology, in particular, may deal with what you are discussing. I dealt with some of this for my PhD.

    ANDERSON, RAY S. (2001) The Shape of Practical Theology, Downers Grove, Illinois, InterVarsity Press.

    BALLARD, PAUL AND JOHN PRITCHARD (2001) Practical Theology in Action, London, SPCK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Great presentation, fantastic pictures. Your readers will be encouraged to pass info to others who are going through PhD or lesser degree. E-book is well documented and contains important bits students are not always aware of. May you have much success in marketing. God is with you! You have a wonderful future ahead of you.'

    Thank you!

    I look forward to that divine blessing and to be a blessing for others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After driving back from Surrey over the Golden Ears Bridge, I decided to just continue straight onto Golden Ears Way instead of taking the standard Maple Ridge exit. What an amazingly beautiful view it was looking toward the mountains, in the north part of Maple Ridge.
    Later I had supper with my brothers (my mother was too sick to go out) at Kingfishers, next to the old Albion ferry location. Again a beautiful view, this one overlooking the Fraser river. And awesome fish & chips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good, Saint Chucklins.

    So when are you taking Bobby Buff and I out for Fish & Chips at that place?

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee, thank you.

    It is from 14 years of collecting desktop pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others about your photos, Russ. Even if your blog had no other content other than the photos, it would still be worth checking out. It's almost like a mini visual travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much, Jeff.

    I enjoy God's creation, in particular the earth's landscapes, even the ones that are somewhat human made.

    It is also good when a marketing strategy works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "As a result various theological perspectives are provided when persons comment.

    To me, this constitutes a cultural development of theology."


    I think what you are saying is very important. We shouldn't just assume that we (wherever we are in the world) have the "right" or best perspective on theology but we should realize that others may have insight that we haven't thought about. Besides, if the Gospel is truly "cross-cultural" (which it would have to be in order to be a kingdom of peoples from "every tribe, tongue and nation"), then we would do well to listen to others. This doesn't mean that we are compromising the Gospel; we are simply listening to how the Gospel has integrated varying cultures into the one culture of the Kingdom of God.

    After all this time I've finally decided to look at trekearth.com. I may have to copy you and add some of these treasures to my posts! :-)

    If I ever get around to organizing my photos I'll probably try to start using them more often as well.

    Good luck on your continuing writing adventure!

    GGM

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'I think what you are saying is very important. We shouldn't just assume that we (wherever we are in the world) have the "right" or best perspective on theology but we should realize that others may have insight that we haven't thought about.'

    I agree. As well, although I reason that Reformed theology is the best representation of classic Christianity and God's revelation to humanity, there is still in sin, imperfect human interpretation taking place.

    Human beings are finite, with limited understanding.

    Therefore:

    No form of human theology perfectly represents the triune God.

    'Besides, if the Gospel is truly "cross-cultural" (which it would have to be in order to be a kingdom of peoples from "every tribe, tongue and nation"), then we would do well to listen to others. This doesn't mean that we are compromising the Gospel; we are simply listening to how the Gospel has integrated varying cultures into the one culture of the Kingdom of God.'

    Yes. Using Blogger Next Blog I come across, for example, many blogs from younger Christian women, more so than from young men (a surprising, from my perspective, development theologically, but not on the writing side), and some of them are fairly theological.

    These blogs look at life in some ways, radically different than I do from my male perspective.

    But it is the same gospel being discussed.

    Some of my readers are on the fundamentalist side, most basically moderate even if fundamentalist, most of my readers are conservative, and then some are moderately liberal.

    But, the gospel is essentially the same.

    'After all this time I've finally decided to look at trekearth.com. I may have to copy you and add some of these treasures to my posts! :-)'

    Treasures is right. No one from the site has contacted me and complained and I have always tried to credit the site.

    Google images is my next source.

    'If I ever get around to organizing my photos I'll probably try to start using them more often as well.'

    As you know, I like your photos even as your approach is somewhat different with at times a focus on birds.

    'Good luck on your continuing writing adventure!

    GGM'

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks.

    I do not think Chan is a Revelation scholar.

    Mounce states that although the Lord was about to spew (refute thee) them out of his mouth, there was yet an opportunity to repent.

    From a Reformed Biblical perspective as regeneration occurs which should lead to repentance, this makes it possible these persons were saved but were in need of repentance.

    Of course there is always the real possibility of unsaved persons within the Church as well. This has always been the case.

    But I reason the New Testament is primarily directed toward believers, and we have evidence of unrepentant believers in Scripture and therefore I deduce the interpretation by many scholars for this section of Revelation, in context, will be that it is primarily directed to believers.

    Mounce p.126

    MOUNCE, ROBERT, H. (1990) The Book of Revelation, Grand Rapids, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

    However, listening to Chan, I can certainly see that many supposedly regenerated believers live like the unregenerate!

    If not most of the time, some certainly have their moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed the photos on this blog article, especially the one of Maple Ridge. Photos always make your blog more pleasing to the eyes. Thanks.
    -Photo Junky-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey check this out
    http://www.globalnews.ca/canada/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, PJ.

    The photos make the blogging experience more pleasurable and memorable for many readers, I reason.

    ReplyDelete
  16. global news/bc smoke

    Apparently BC forest fire smoke has traveled to Ontario and New England.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best wishes on your new endeavors.


    M. Scott Peck wrote an interesting book about evil.



    Aloha from Waikiki :)

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  18. <a href="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmbvbONvXyU0&h=467d5>Dastardly prank</a> on a youth pastor who had a sermon malfunction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have enjoyed listening to audiobooks of Peck talking on various subjects, including evil and human relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Saint Chucklins,

    I enjoyed the Peck audio series you loaned to me concerning civility.

    'A World Waiting to Be Born: Civility Rediscovered'

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic photographs. Specially the ones of Wales which I visited only once. I was totally in awe of that country.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on your E book, so when is the next one on the problem of evil coming??
    -Serious Curious-

    ReplyDelete
  23. You mention in your article about creating a ministry and a business, very possible, and I wish you all the best in this endeavor.
    -Dr. D. Diddley-

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPAa1JJa6Og&NR=1
    -annonymous-

    ReplyDelete
  25. 'Congrats on your E book, so when is the next one on the problem of evil coming??
    -Serious Curious-'

    Cheers.

    I need to get the first book through ClickBank and finalize the E-book writing course. I will need to work on that this week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 'You mention in your article about creating a ministry and a business, very possible, and I wish you all the best in this endeavor.
    -Dr. D. Diddley-'

    Yes, I always need to do some ministry for free. It has been a very large blessing and I have taken a fair bit of crap from people on and offline in the process. But I am always looking to be at peace with others where possible.

    The point has arrived where I need to also be paid for some of my endeavors.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mr. -annonymous-

    I am sorry Mr. Jackson died, but I do not miss the media attention he gathered.

    ReplyDelete