Saturday, January 27, 2007

Beckham and Grey's Anatomy


Lake Wakatipu, New Zealand

Greetings,

Here are two of my recent philosophical comments from two other blogs. The first comment relates to Western materialism and professional sports. The original article discusses David Beckham's move from Real Madrid to Major League Soccer. The second comment relates to world-view and Grey's Anatomy, which I have never actually watched. The original article discusses what Isaiah Washington has been put through because of his negative comment.

http://redeemingthetime.blogspot.com/2007/01/beckhams-millions-jackpot-or-insanity.html

I have been a European soccer fan for several years and was fortunate enough when I lived in Manchester to have home membership for Manchester United and away membership for Arsenal. As a student I viewed a handful of games. At the time Beckham played for United he was a hard working above average player, but not the best on the team. Beckham coming to L.A. is seemingly largely about the MLS increasing media exposure. In a sense this move reflects the notion in our society that bigger is better and since the MLS is not a major sport in North America they will pay a player likely past his prime, a ridiculous amount of money. In my opinion the NHL in expanding to many non-hockey markets in the United States is as well suffering from the bigger is better mentality. To a point, I do not blame a business or organization for wanting to expand, but the MLS is not going to become a major league by throwing money at a player they are overrating, and the NHL is likely never going to be a major sport in much of the United States. This move by the MLS is largely a bunch of hype attempting to convince North Americans that soccer is becoming major league on this continent and I deny that soccer is becoming that popular here. Soccer may be growing in the United States but the top American athletes will largely continue to play football, baseball, basketball, golf and other sports at a high level rather than soccer. Kirk you mentioned the love of money, but when I think of how of the MLS and the NHL are making all these attempts to become very popular in the United States, I reason there is also a love of success going on here. In other words an attempt to eventually match the success of the NFL and European Soccer. As a Christian I think that there are much more worthy pursuits.

http://professor-howdy.blogspot.com/

Please see under Official Notice!!!

A thoughtful article. If I had made such a negative public remark I would apologize. It is one thing to disagree with a person's lifestyle but another to disrespect a person with a term. I would then refuse to succumb to any further pressure from groups that would think I needed counseling and such. An apology for a bad word is one thing, but an apology for a world-view is another. Any further discussion would require a debate on the world-view issue. With God's help I would aim not to offend anyone on my blogs or academic writing, but if I did offend and was wrong I would apologize. However, I would refuse to be pressured into acting as if my world-view was incorrect just because certain people in Hollywood and the media did not agree with it.

Russ

9 comments:

  1. http://thekingpin68.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_archive.html

    A related article from my Archives.

    The article can also be found through Archives, December 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it absolutely repulsive and dare I say sickening that someone who chases a ball (or a puck, or what have you) around for a living gets paid fifty million a year when a soldier or a police officer who puts their lives on the line for the sake and well being of their fellow citizens makes so little. This is a grave shame of our capitalistic society. I for one will not pay to see professional athletes for this very reason. I refuse to watch millionaires scamper around a field,court, or ice arena, spit, or scratch their crotch, etc. Its time we as a society shake our heads and put a stop to this insanity.
    Don't get me started on hollywood actors! Did you notice that I didn't capitalize the "H"?
    -Bellowing Buff-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo.
    The Beckham's are grossly overpaid vain individuals who spend more money on clothes and accessories in a week than most people spend on food in a year.

    Why pay a guy such a grotesque salary for playing any sport? It is not helpful to society in any way. Entertainers should not be paid so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jessica,

    I think your comments have merit. It appears perhaps Beckham is being overpaid because Major League Soccer believes that his presence will convince North Americans that tier one soccer has arrived on this continent. When I see players in their prime such as Ronaldinho and Henry come here to play I can consider that notion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In regard to the last two helpful comments from Bobby and Jessica. I think that one should be selective in what type of entertainment is supported financially. I do not think this is an easy issue to deal with though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely stunning photography....are they your photos...?? they're amazing...

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of the photos are free from trekearth.com. Sometimes I use ones from Ron Niebrugge and his have his name on them. A few of the photos are from me with the wrong dates on them because of my camera. My photos seem inferior to me, but I still think a few of them are good enough to post. I usually post a nature picture rather than an image related to the topic as I have found that there is an interesting and abstract connection between reflecting on theology and reflecting on nature. Both involve pondering on the wonder of God. As well, even though I am not an artist I want an artistic side to my blogs.

    Thanks for the comment, Gina.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Questions relating to practical theology from a feminist perspective is very intriguing to me. My latest rag of sorts. I can point you to a brood of blog.spot feminists who have no interest in practical theology. You can take DNA samples if you think you might get out of there alive. They have no idea the devil has a firm hold on them. I think it is a part of the religion I use to belong to the, “I made up my own religion church of Self.” They claim to be “spiritual.” Whatever that can be. I explained to one of them in an off blog email exchange that just because she didn’t believe in the devil didn’t make him go away. I got a blog stoning for my troubles. Blog exorcism is not one of my skills. Good luck or should I say good hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Harey,

    I am going to have to deal with feminism and practical theology with the practical/empirical chapter I am working on presently.

    I also included some feminism questions in my survey.

    Thanks,

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete