Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Thrilling MPhil survey questions on the problem of evil


Whistler, BC

As some of you know, I completed questionnaires for both my PhD and MPhil research theses through Wales. Below are some selected survey questions from my MPhil.

For a change of pace, I included questions and subjects dealing with the problem of evil that have been dealt with less than some other topics on my blogs. In other words, I deleted questions primarily dealing with hell, free will and determinism which have been discussed in many articles.

I plan to publish my PhD questionnaire once the thesis is passed.

http://thekingpin68.blogspot.com/2006/01/mphil-wales-2003.html

CHAPTER SIX

Conclusion

1. The Survey

For my surveys, I have received fifty each, completed of Anglicans and Baptists who have attended a post-secondary denominational college, University or seminary, or are members of one of those denominations who have studied religion at a post-secondary level.

There were no other stipulations I set in drawing up the survey. I was not concerned with age, sex or theological position. I was simply looking for people who met the educational and denominational requirements. I used both regular mail and email to send out the questionnaires, and received back forms via both formats.

For my interviews, I selected five religious leaders from each denomination. These were a combination of people that I knew via my previous educational experiences, churches I had attended, and people that I had contacted via the Internet.

The findings from the surveys and interviews, and the examination of the four authors will shed light on the problem of evil and how it is being considered within two Christian groups. The statements within my survey were a result of my research on the problem of evil. I thought it best to make statements which seemed obviously required for the topic, and I wanted them to appear in a logical order. As well, I wanted to avoid only making statements that supported my own viewpoints on the topic. This means that I would make statements which could support an opposite viewpoint to previous statements. I wanted to demonstrate understanding of other viewpoints from my reading and, as well, I wanted the person filling out the survey to see a logical connection between statements and, that for the sake of consistency, to agree with one statement would sometimes mean that they could not agree with another.

I realize that this could be difficult for a person answering the questionnaire that had not researched the problem of evil, nor read any of my work, but I think a logical consistency in answers demonstrates better understanding of the topic. As well, a problem with the survey method is that the statements are short and do not always explain the full context of what is being stated. This can lead to confusion when answered. I was not, as accused by one person who answered my survey, trying to confuse Christians! I was simply attempting to put across relevant important statements on the problem of evil, and staying logical within that approach.

Statement sixteen:

This statement was stated as: The only true solution to the problem of evil is through the death and resurrection of Christ. Here we have 82% of Anglicans in agreement, 8% not certain, 10% in disagreement. With Baptists, there is definitely a stronger opinion, as 96% are in agreement, with 4% not certain. I placed this statement after the philosophical statements because I believe that the true solution to the problem of evil, in practical terms, is the work of Christ. His work leads to the culminated Kingdom of God where evil is arrested. At this point, the philosophical problem may still exist, but it is rather academic!

Statement eighteen:

This statement stated: The remedy set in motion through Christ’s atoning work on the cross will not culminate until Christ’s second coming. For Anglicans, 68% agreed, 18% were not certain, 14% disagreed. For Baptists, 66% agreed, 12% were not certain, and 22% disagreed. I am in agreement with this statement that obviously Christ’s work will not be culminated until he returns and fully establishes his kingdom.

Statement twenty:

The statement was: Satanic beings are a major force of evil. There was much more skepticism concerning these beings within the Anglican camp in comparison to the Baptist group; however, the ministry of Jesus and his Apostles interacted with Satanic beings and there is no scriptural indication that these beings would not exist today. With the Anglicans, 62% agreed, 18% were not certain, 20% disagreed. With the Baptists, 92% agreed, 6% were not certain, and 2% disagreed.

Statement twenty-one:

This statement was stated: Human suffering will decrease as the Gospel’s influence increases. For Anglicans 36% agreed, 20% were not certain, 44% disagreed. For Baptists, 36% agreed, 14% were not certain, and 50% disagreed.

Statement twenty-two:

This statement stated: Evil and suffering would decrease if the church were more obedient. With Anglicans, 32% agreed, 20% were not certain, 48% disagreed. With Baptists, 36% of the people agreed, 12% were not certain, and 52% disagreed. I am not dogmatic with the issue of how much evil and suffering would decrease if the Gospel had more influence in the world and if the Church were more obedient. Indeed, they are hypothetical statements, but I cautiously lean toward believing the world would be a better place if the Gospel was more prominent in it, and if Christians were less secular in their thinking and more Christ focused. It can be seen that groups can have large impact on public views. Hollywood and the New York media have had a great impact upon western society. For example, western acceptance of homosexuality and abortion on demand has likely been influenced by these two groups. So I think high profile segments of society can definitely influence morality, and morality relates to the amount of evil in society. I do think that a more prominent, loving Christian Church would limit evil somewhat within the world.

Statement twenty-seven:

This statement stated: The case of Job demonstrates that the evil experienced by an individual may not be related to their level of personal godliness. With both groups, 96% agreed and 4% disagreed.

This response is good to see because a Theology which insists that people suffering in the greatest measure are the greatest sinners, is very dangerous as it is error. Job was a very righteous man and he suffered greatly because God willed it for the greater good.

Statement thirty-three:

The thirty-third statement stated: Social conditioning plays a major part in the development of human evil. I think that social conditioning with laws, and social rules can help somewhat to prohibit sinful human nature from exploring and developing evil in greater measure. The fact that we as human beings require laws to live by, shows that our sinful nature needs to be kept in check in order to prevent greater amounts of evil from taking place.

With this statement, 62% of Anglicans agreed, with 20% not certain, and 18% disagreeing. In the Baptist group, 52% of responders agreed, while 20% were not certain, and 28% disagreed.

Funny church signs:










26 comments:

  1. Very interesting to read.

    "Human suffering will decrease as the Gospel’s influence increases"

    This can be a tricky question. It would be easy to say "yes" to this (and I would suspect that my "post-millenial" brothers would), since the Gospel "delivers" people from the kingdom of this world into the Kingdom of God, and since we're promised by God to have all of our needs met by Him through Christ, and since if more people were "Christians", the influence of the Gospel should be seen in the increase of compassion and service to others. But, as the statements sits on the page, the answer is "not necessarily".

    Because of the "evil" OF (not simply IN) this world--directed against Christ Himself (as He says) and then by extension against all who are His, I could see human suffering only increasing as the Gospel spreads. History show us that it only takes a relatively few to inflict pain and suffering on the masses.

    "The remedy set in motion through Christ’s atoning work on the cross will not culminate until Christ’s second coming."

    I'm not sure what the objection to this statement would be. I mean...unless the supposed "1000 year reign of Christ" has something to do with it (which I wouldn't think "Anglicans" necessarily believe in anyway). But the Bile clearly teaches a consummation to come at the return of Christ (New Heavens, New Earth, etc) where the curse is finally and fully overthrown and the entire creation will be what God had intended from the beginning.

    I loved the sign that read, "Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help". I guess if worry doesn't completely kill you, you can always go to Church--which will finish the job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the comments, GGM.

    This statement stated: The remedy set in motion through Christ’s atoning work on the cross will not culminate until Christ’s second coming.

    Perhaps some of the people that did not support this proposition think that Christ's atoning work can fully deliver us from evil now if the church and the world is just willing to accept and live the gospel message.

    Well, a problem is that many in the cultural Christian Church are not willing, and of course the world is not willing to accept the gospel message.

    Perhaps a few of the Anglicans and Baptists had post-millennial leanings.

    Perhaps some deny the power of the atoning work, the resurrection and the Second Coming.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Human suffering will decrease as the Gospel's influence will increases"

    Well,judging form the circumstances and the condition the world is in there's only increasing of suffering. The problem is not weather the Gospel influence be increased,the gospel today is being preached and translated unto almost all corners of the earth,there's no excuse for that. Paul in the epistle to Timothy warns about evil going to increase in the last days, and we are seeing much of it already the news is full of such. So the problem is with the heart of men,they have the chance to listen to the gospel and get a changed life. Even in the western countries where the gospel is freely preached yet there are problems and injustice. So the problem is not with the increasing influence of the gospel, but with human heart. Only in the millennium kingdom will be peace and justice.(the poverty is not form God,but from the leaders of developed countries. As Dr.Hovind stated;'there's enough food for all the people in the world")
    The teaching of evolution in schools today is a problem too.
    As Paul said we should look for the Blessed Hope, which is the return of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Genti.

    I appreciate your comments.

    You may very well be right that
    suffering is increasing in the world.

    We have moral decay in the West, and now serious financial problems.

    Will things get worse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "will things get worse?"

    Well as long as Satan is very active in this world,sure things will get worse. For things to get right it is necessary that Satan be bound and that the world be ruled by Christ with a rod of iron. So all this leads to the golden age MILLENNIUM.
    (at the moment we are talking there are many people around the world that are going through suffering and pain; some to starvation,sickness, and there might be women/girls who are being raped at this moment,, and the list goes on). We as christians should raise our voice and be ready to offer our help and comfort to those in need,and be a LIGHT in this dark world,until Christ comes! Amen.

    In theology is the question of "how", and that can be answered, BUT in suffering and pain we have the question of "WHY", who can answer that??
    May the coming of Christ be soon!!

    Talking a bout pain and suffering requires answers and solutions!

    (2Cor.1:4,7,8). Yet the coming of Christ will be the greatest comfort to all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genti,

    I lean towards a belief in a literal millennium, but seems to me we may have an amillenialist reader on this blog as well.

    Okay, before any debate breaks out on this;), I confess not to be a scholar on eschatology although I can probably go back and find out why I hold to a literal millennium.;) I taught a few classes on it for my teaching internship at Trinity Western.

    Let us be good boys now.

    Russ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Let us be good boys now."

    Hey Russ...when have I ever not played nice? :-)

    I think most of your readers know by now that I'm "the" amillenialist, but hey...if the "rapture" occurs in my lifetime I'll have no problem hanging out with my pre-mil, dispensational brothers for 1000 years! :-)

    And I probably won't even mind if they spend 999 of those years saying, "I told you so"! :-)

    GGM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Mr. GGM, you are the nice guy. I am not concerned about you.:)

    I lean toward a belief in a literal millennium, and the Second Coming for certain and not the rapture.

    The saints the antichrist/beast overcomes in Revelation 13: 7 likely includes Christians that were on earth as believers before he gained power.

    I take it that means our blogs will be shut down, if they are not already as we will likely be long dead.

    Perhaps if the end comes sooner than later our blogs will be turned into sites to worship the beast. A very sad thought. If that happens in the millennium or when the culminated Kingdom occurs, I will make sure to make a comeback, God willing!

    We need to get the last word in.;)

    Perhaps I should have some Chucky like programmers put in a self-destruct sequence in my blogs once too many lines of heresy are presented in the main text!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Russ,

    Great questions for a survey. As for me my heart's desire is to be influenced by the Truth of God's Word but there are many who have a heart's desire to be influenced by the world and it's standards. So even if the Gospel's influences did increase there might be less evil and wickedness that would be shown forth (out in the open)but that doesn't mean the person's heart still isn't full of darkness and a desire to do evil. He just might be more secretive about doing it. I truly believe it all goes back to the heart of the person. (Do they have a heart after righteousness or do they have a heart after wickedness?)

    Good questions Russ... God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Tamela.

    The world since the fall has always had evil persons, and only through grace through faith does anyone follow God.

    The gospel's influence will only save someone when God chooses to regenerate the person. As bloggers and Christians in person, we serve as Christian witness.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This statement stated: The case of Job demonstrates that the evil experienced by an individual may not be related to their level of personal godliness. With both groups, 96% agreed and 4% disagreed.

    A Christian was reading some book about Job one time, and she told me that the author was saying that Job suffered because he didn't have enough faith. I suspect that the author was an advocate of the Health, Wealth and Prosperity gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Human suffering will decrease as the Gospel’s influence increases"

    I have read/heard that there is incredible revival going on among Jews in Israel, Muslims in Arab nations, in Africa, and other places around the world. And yet, there is more persecution against Christians, and more Christian martyrs today than there were in the First Century.

    "The remedy set in motion through Christ’s atoning work on the cross will not culminate until Christ’s second coming."

    I could imagine some thinking, "I am complete in Christ, and, if I go to Heaven before Christ's second coming, His work in me will have been culminated; so, as far as me personally, His work can be culminated before His return."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seriously doubt that the Holy Spirit's work culminates in anyone before death, awaiting the resurrection. The resurrection is the culmination of the human holiness process from sin, but I do reason we will continue to spiritually/intellectually grow forever.

    I am not expert on Church growth and persecution, but thanks for the note.

    Cheers, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An important point I remember from my teaching at seminary:

    Rev. 20

    v5 - (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. - The first resurrection is for the righteous when Jesus comes again, Luke 14:14, 1 Thess 4:16. The second is a general resurrection at the end of the thousand years for the righteous and the wicked, see Dan 12:1-2, John 5:25-29. It has frequently been observed that if one resurrection is literal then the other one must be or else words lose all their meaning, see Walvoord.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Russ... LOVE that 1st pic ! Beautiful landscape !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The end of Rev. 20:4 says "They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years." So how are we reigning with Christ now?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks again, Jimmy!

    A good point, Chuck.

    At Columbia Bible College (Mennonite) a professor (your Uncle) suggested that the last days were taking place within the Millennium.

    But are we presently reigning? Or are the martyrs and others in spirit form in Paradise reigning with Christ presently?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seriously doubt that the Holy Spirit's work culminates in anyone before death, awaiting the resurrection.

    "We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:8)

    I do not believe in soul sleep. But then, I think you have written in the past that neither do you, Russ. I believe that when the Christian dies, they immediately go to Heaven. However, at the resurrection, I do believe that our earthly, buried bodies will be transformed, and our soul in Heaven will be re-united with our now-transformed body.

    "For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." (2 Corinthians 15:53-54)

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is a sense in which we are complete in Christ now.
    However, our salvation/sanctification will not be completed until we get to Heaven.
    Also, we are obviously not reigning with Christ now.
    We do, of course, have the power of the Holy Spirit available to us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two ladies who were Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door about 2 1/2 hours ago, and I talked with them a little. They pointed out how things are so bad now in the world, and were alluding to the time when Christ will reign on this earth. I understand that JWs believe that Paradise will be on earth, not in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Jeff.

    I reason the human spirit upon death either goes to Hades in the case of unbelievers (Luke 16), or Paradise (Luke 16, 23, Second Corinthians 12, also indirectly Philippians 1) in the case of believers.

    I agree with you on the resurrection of believers from First Corinthians 15, and also I reason from Revelation 20.

    I reason there are two heavens and two hells.

    Hell 1-Hades for unregenerate departed spirits and I have read this is perhaps the Abyss where some demons reside. This is everlasting punishment phase one.

    Hell 2-The lake of fire, for physically resurrected unregenerate persons. This is everlasting punishment culminated and therefore everlasting punishment phase two.

    Heaven 1-Paradise for regenerated departed spirits. Phase one of everlasting life.

    Heaven 2-The New heaven and new earth. I reason this includes the spiritual access to God as with phase one, but also includes our resurrected physical existence in a restored earth and universe. So the language is figurative literal in that the universe is not recreated ex nihilo, but is restored.

    So, we will have immortal spiritual physical bodies (First Corinthians 15) and access to God in the spiritual realm apart from physical matter as in phase one and also will, in my mind, primarily exist in our physical immortal state on earth reigning with Christ being filled with the Holy Spirit.

    Walter Martin used to state this was the one area where the Jehovah's Witnesses were sort of correct.

    But there will be far more than 144, 000 believers (Revelation 7, 14).

    Many Christians sadly fail to realize, or at least emphasize, that if our everlasting existence/life was not meant to be primarily in a physical world the Lord could simply leave persons in spirit form in Paradise. The fact of the resurrection and the new heaven and earth demonstrates we will physically exist with Christ with immortal bodies and this will likely be in the present earth restored. This earth will be destroyed by burning as in 2 Peter 3, but David F. Payne suggests the earth 'will be laid bare' in regard to the term 'burned up' in 3: 10. This may relate to the word singe. Payne (1986: 1569). It is possible we will have all the same continents and that animals will be present on earth. I think this is likely, but I still reason resurrected humans will also have access to God in the spiritual realm apart from physical nature and this may very well be Paradise.

    PAYNE, DAVID F. (1986) ‘Second Peter', in F.F. Bruce (gen.ed.), The International Bible Commentary, Grand Rapids, Marshall Pickering/ Zondervan.

    There is little wonder so many Christians struggle with the concept of an everlasting non-physical existence in a non-physical realm. We are physical creatures made for a physical universe and this is primarily how believers shall exist/live forever.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Russ.
    Interesting questions. Last night I had a Hindu on one side of me and an Atheist on the other side, they gave me a grilling. The main thrust throughout the discussion was about the existance of evil. Why? It was very challenging but also very enlightening for the two protagonists. I have to say some of your writings and subsequent discussion helped me answer some of their questions.

    I quoted from Matthew 24 about false prophets and messiahs and pointed out that the world indeed will always have problems with people doing wrong things. One guy was a doctor and I pointed out that some doctors are bad but not all including him.

    People will commit evil crimes not because they are Christian, Hindu or whatever but because they are greedy and selfish.

    The signs are great Russ. The turning your EFIL around one took me a while to get.

    Please remember my dad as he has had a bit of a set back. I'm not sure that he has all that long here on this earth and I'm not sure I know how I will handle his passing. Helping others cope is my thing and I'm now approaching uncharted waters.

    Regards,
    Russell.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say some of your writings and subsequent discussion helped me answer some of their questions.

    Thanks, Russell, very much.

    Lord, I pray for blessings and mercy concerning Russell and his Dad with the present and future.

    In Jesus' name, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Russ,
    Vicki and myself enjoyed the church signs.
    When I take test for personality or whatever, I seem to do well because I see what the test is attempting to weed out or catch inconsistancy in by repetive questioning.
    Here is another blogger to contact. He has a pretty good sense of humor, too. Jesus is Wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks very much, Jim and Vicki.

    I will check out the blog.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete