Wednesday, January 14, 2009

PhD passed

PhD passed

Update: January 23, 2009: My revisions list was waiting for me in my email as I arrived back to the Vancouver area today. I reason I have a few months of work and therefore blogging will be lighter than usual. I am going to lose another academic work year and need to work on the revisions as much as possible. I will post some of my findings. Si, Ruth and family, thanks for hosting me! Thanks as well to Mr. X and LX for putting me up for a couple of days! 

Additional

The subject of fatalism came up in my PhD viva/defence. Here are some comments I have from an older article. I do not hold to fatalism. Edinburgh: 1995 I find a rare Jazz Fusion unofficial CD, featuring an artist I was looking for at a flea market. I explain this to the seller and he states. ‘It was fate’ with a strong Scottish accent. ‘Pardon’ I said, ‘It was fate’, he stated. I thought he had said ‘It was fiit’. 

Compatibilism/soft determinism

P.S. Greenspan writes that compatibilism holds to free will and determinism being compatible. Greenspan (1998: 1). Louis P. Pojman, defines compatibilism as the concept that an act can be entirely determined and yet be free in the sense that it was done voluntarily and without compulsion. Pojman (1996: 596). J.S. Feinberg explains that compatibilism does not allow for coercion or force, but holds that God, or some outside force, can simultaneously determine with the use of persuasion, that an action will or will not take place. Feinberg (1986: 24). 

Feinberg writes that certain nonconstraining conditions could strongly influence actions, in conjunction with human free will performing these actions. Feinberg (1994: 60). With this viewpoint, there will be no contradiction in stating that God would create human beings who were significantly free, unconstrained, and yet committed actions that God willed. Feinberg (2001: 637). 

W.T. Stace (1952)(1976) explains that moral responsibility is consistent with determinism in the context of soft determinism and requires it. Stace (1952)(1976: 29). If human actions are uncaused then reward or punishment would be unjustified. Stace (1952)(1976: 29). Stace reasons that there must be at least some human cause within human actions to make them morally responsible acts. Stace (1952)(1976: 30).

Fatalism compared with hard determinism

Simon Blackburn comments that this is the doctrine that human action has no influence on events. Blackburn (1996: 137). Blackburn gives the opinion that fatalism is wrongly confused with determinism, which by itself carries no implications that human actions have no effect. Blackburn (1996: 137).

Tomis Kapitan notes that determinism is usually understood as meaning that whatever occurs is determined by antecedent (preceding cause) conditions. Kapitan (1999: 281). Pojman states that hard determinism holds that every event is caused and no one is responsible for actions, whereas soft determinism holds that rational creatures can be held responsible for determined actions as long as they are done voluntarily and without force or coercion. Pojman (1996: 586). Fatalism should not be equated with compatibilism/soft determinism, but if fatalism states that no human actions can influence or cause events, and hard determinism holds that human beings do not cause actions or are morally responsible, there is clearly a similarity in definitions. 

D.G. Bloesch explains that fate is not chance, but instead is cosmic determinism that has no meaning or purpose. Bloesch (1996: 407). He writes that fate/fatalism would differ from a Christian idea of divine providence and its implied use of determinism, in that fatalism is impersonal and irrational, whereas providence is personal and rational. Bloesch (1996: 407). 

Thiessen comments that fatalism is not determinism because fatalism holds that all events are caused by fate, and not natural causes, and nothing can change these events. Determinism in contrast, holds that all events occur by necessity. Thiessen (1956: 186). Compatibilism and soft determinism does hold that what God determines must happen by necessity, but reasons that rational beings with a significant use of free will are not coerced or forced to commit acts, which must occur by necessity. 

A person can hold to hard determinism and believe that God determined all events without the significant use of free will of rational creatures, and a fatalist can also believe that events are determined without the use of significant free will of rational creatures, and yet this is caused without any meaning, and without the understanding that God or any rational entity is behind these events. 

BLACKBURN, SIMON (1996) ‘Fatalism’, in Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy, p. 137. Oxford, Oxford University Press. 

BLOESCH, D. (1996) ‘Fate, Fatalism’, in Walter A. Elwell (ed.), Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, Grand Rapids, Baker Books. 

FEINBERG. JOHN S. (1986) Predestination and Free Will, David Basinger and Randall Basinger (eds.), Downers Grove, Illinois, InterVarsity Press. 

FEINBERG, JOHN S. (1994) The Many Faces of Evil, Grand Rapids, Zondervan Publishing House. 

FEINBERG, JOHN S. (2001) No One Like Him, John S. Feinberg (gen.ed.), Wheaton, Illinois, Crossway Books. 

GREENSPAN, P.S. (1998) Free Will and Genetic Determinism: Locating the Problem (s), Maryland, University of Maryland. http://www.philosophy.umd.edu/Faculty/PGreenspan/Res/gen2.html 

KAPITAN, TOMIS (1996) ‘Free Will Problem’, in Robert Audi (ed.), The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 

POJMAN, LOUIS P. (1996) Philosophy: The Quest for Truth, New York, Wadsworth Publishing Company. 

STACE, W.T. (1952)(1976) Religion and the Modern Mind, in John R. Burr and Milton Goldinger (eds), Philosophy and Contemporary Issues, London, Collier Macmillan Publishers. 

THIESSEN, HENRY C. (1956) Introductory Lectures in Systematic Theology, Grand Rapids, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. 

Update: January 20, 2009

I visited this church today with Mr. X and LX. Original foundations are 1300-1400 years old. The University of Wales, Lampeter Greetings from a public library in Manchester. Please note I do not have any books here from my library and so do not expect my usual Wales inspired citation fest. I was just eating at one of my favourite restaurants, Cafe Rouge, which is an English attempt at French food. It has very good food in my opinion, but offers small portions. 

In some ways, by God's grace I am intellectual, but not all that cultured by European standards, perhaps. I asked the restaurant manager/server for more water for my tea pot and she asked puzzled, 'With the same tea bag?' I explained to her that took place in Canadian restaurants. She insisted on giving me a new pot of tea on the house. My viva examiners and the chairperson stated seemed to be very fine persons, and noted I did very well on my viva. They were impressed. They agreed with my comment at the end that I was able to answer all their questions. In fact the examiners respected me and seemed to like it when I set them straight concerning some of their assumptions concerning my sovereignty theodicy and compatiblism.;) 

The examiners indicated that my viva defence basically answered the objections they had with the thesis and therefore I should have no difficulty with the revisions. There was in their opinion, a disconnect with how I presented my work in person and how it was presented in the thesis. I reason that their objections could have all been answered within the thesis, but it would be impossible for either myself, or my advisers Mark and Rob to anticipate all of the potential objections. The examiners reasoned that without the viva I did not sufficiently defend my worldview and assumptions. I very much disagree having dealt with atheism in the thesis (and on my blogs). I dealt with atheistic objections concerning the three theodicy and included an atheistic praxis in the Afterword. 

The examiners wanted me to have examined other approaches to the nature of God. Well, this could have been done easily within the text and will be done in the revisions. To take this type of objection too far is to basically require a different thesis and this is always a danger. I was reviewing writers and their assumptions primarily! I was not directed to write a Reformed apologetic. My advisor Rob agreed with me that if after these revisions we brought in two more reviewers, they would have another set of revisions. I admit that my reviewers and every advisor I have had is in some way academically ahead of me, but I state humbly, but with confidence that my Biblically and Reformed based sovereignty theodicy still remains seriously unchallenged after development for ten years and challenges from academics, friends, and on-line bloggers. 

I am not trying to be egotistical, but I remain even more convinced of this after the viva. Well, the external examiner is an Anglican systematic theologian, that stated he was non-Reformed when I asked him. The internal examiner is a systematic theologian and is Roman Catholic. Predictably they both had difficulties intellectual accepting my Reformed views. I will write more on this later, but I am running out of time on this computer. 

I am RUSHED. Please leave comments, but I do not wish to attempt to force or coerce you...;) I reason much of their revisions are based on a misunderstanding of my work and the fact that we are coming from different traditions, and the fact that I was simply following the advice to the letter of my very qualified advisers within the British system, Mark and then Rob. Thank you very much Mark Cartlege and Rob Warner for your fine professional assistance. Mark, thanks as well to you and your family for hosting me for a drink/meal on more than one occasion. Mark is a fine empirical theologian and scholar. Rob, thanks for taking over for Mark when he left and the additions you provided were important in the development of the work. Rob is the department head and also a fine empirical theologian and scholar and gave me excellent advice.

Neither of these men would agree with some of the things I state on this blog, but the same can be stated for my regular readers and commenters and so what is new?;) Thank you to Dr. William Kay for helping me with my MPhil thesis which passed without revisions. Dr. Kay has two PhDs and is a fine academic. Please comment if you wish and keep posted. This post is not finished. Russ:) Thanks Simon for taking me to this match! Even though you support Arsenal! January 14, 2009 Manchester 

United 1 Wigan Athletic 0
 

Thanks Jeff! Very good. There is no message here, just a Luthor group.

73 comments:



  1. CONGRATULATIONS, RUSS!

    Great job, Kingpin!


    Peace,
    Tom



    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! Now I have to buy you a grad gift!

    Congrats Dr. Murray, it's been a long, hard and winding road! I pray that the job search goes easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Chucky, Bobby, Ed and Dallas N, must call me Doctor; that is after my revisions are signed off on as Rob states.

    Chucky, thanks...HINT...expensive comic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we must call you Doctor, How About Dr Who? Or Maybe Dr Doom? HA HA...

    As I was reading your Post, I saw your flags in the Side Bar, I must agree with you on your Second country, I am down with that.


    Any way, Congrats on Passing the test, Maybe you could come visit and I will make you that Ramen dinner I was telling you about. Rick b

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick, thanks.

    I would like to visit.

    Hey, I am going to Bolton to see Man. Utd. visit tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Kingpin, I presume?

    Congratulations! I'm sure your revisions will be fine and when someone calls out, "Is there a doctor in the house?" you will be able to stand up and assure everyone of the sovereignty of God while someone performs CPR. :-)

    Good job, Russ!

    GGM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Russ,

    Well, graduation congratulation. Will this require a renaming of the Blog to doctorkingpin68?

    Larry E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go, Russ! Congratulations! Very happy for you, my man. Looking forward to seeing where God leads you next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Russ!
    I suggest, that since you are a Phd., now. That you not visit my blog for the recent post. I've revisited my explaination for 'works'. If you visit and comment, I know I will have someone saying, "Dr. Murray does not agree with you".
    Have fun.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Dr. Russ Murray!! :() Congrats....hey....PARTY TIME!! I told my daughter that you are now a doctor...she wouldn't believe me, that is until I explained what KIND of doctor!! :() I appreciate how you have strong convictions & how you hold to them & at the same time accept others in their beliefs & find common ground with them!! Good job...you deserve a holiday!! :()

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Russ. I now have a Dr. for a brother. Way to go, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr. Russ, may you seen be Prof. Russ, or even Rev. Prof. like me.
    Congrats for sticking in there so long with so many setbacks and just going on and getting the big job done. Rev. Prof. D. Clair Davis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dr. Russ, may you soon be Prof. Russ or even Rev Prof like me. Congrats on so hanging in there with so many setbacks! A job truly very well done. The Rev Prof D. Clair Davis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done RussMan!
    Take a bow!

    jay-ZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jason,

    Thanks very much. I will have to wait and see what the patient looks like.;)

    Correction:

    I was mislead, last night I was taken to Old Trafford to see Manchester United defeat Wigan Athletic 1-0. There were 72,000 people there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Larry,

    Thanks. I will put the title Doctor on my blogs once the revisions are done.

    Dr. ??? needs to be worked out.

    People are free to send in suggestions.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Richard,

    Thanks, mate.

    I am at #6 Brayside, Burnage. I am at Simon's.

    Si and Ruth are at work and I am attempting to deal with this 'iffy' computer that boots me off-line often.

    I walked about five hours yesterday looking for a library to use the web and then seeing United.

    I am here until the January 22.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jake,

    Thanks my friend, and all the best with your studies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jim,

    I respect you for revising. I revised some concepts from my MPhil to PhD and put the revisions in red with my MPhil on-line.

    This computer is 'iffy' and so I will check other blogs when I am back in Canada.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steve,

    Thanks very much. You are good big brother. I hope to see you and family soon.

    Love,

    Russ:)

    P.S. When I was in Lampeter, Wales sitting in my underwear in my room reading my thesis, Mrs. Williams, the Bed and Breakfast owner came running down to my room knocking stating I had an emergency phone call from Canada. I thought it was Dad. It was on her cell phone.

    It turns out it was Simon informing me that his interent was down! I am on his computer and it is down often. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clair,

    Thanks. Rob was interested when I told him of your review of my thesis.

    All the best with the move to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done, Russ! CONGRATULATIONS! We are SO HAPPY for you! It HAS been a LONG road for you! Safe trip home! We'll see you soon! We'll pray for the right job to open up! Ed & Anne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Ed and Anne.

    I will wait patiently for Ed to take me out for lunch after church again.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations Dr. Russ Murray,
    Well done, very proud of your
    accomplishments. May you enjoy a prosperous and fruitful career
    -Bobby B. Tha TS ME-

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Russ, This will be my third time to try and leave a message in your comments ,so hope it goes through,. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  26. CONGRATULATIONS, Russ!!!!!!!!!
    (aka, Dr. Russ, Dr. Murray, Dr. K, Dr. Kingpin, Dr. Michelin, or whatever nickname(s)/title(s) shall be bestowed upon you henceforth.)

    GREAT JOB!

    WELL DONE!

    Boy, talk about a long, hard road!

    Prayers answered!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are proud of you Russ. Get the "paperwork" out of the way so you can go teach.
    Blessings,
    Jim and Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dad,

    Thanks, and sorry about the comments and hassles.

    Love,

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My second attempt on here to Congratulate you on your accomplishments. ALL THE BEST
    DR. RUSS AND MAY YOU FIND
    A GOOD POSITION UPON YOUR RETURN.
    SEE YOU IN JANUARY. EDNA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Edna,

    I am sorry for the comment hassles...let us blame Blogger!

    Thanks very much, Edna, and I will see you soon. We did not make it to Hull as Simon could not get tickets. We watched the game on-line and at a pub. We went to the Wigan @ Man Utd game at Old Trafford.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Jeff! Very good. There is no message here, just a Luthor group.

    You're welcome, Russ. Ironically, today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day here. Hey, since you said I'm half-black, maybe I should take a half-day off work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. CONGRATS - must be such a relief and joy after so much work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Welcome back, Russ! Wow, another few months or more to work on the revisions... There certainly is a lot of work involved in getting a PhD. Well, hopefully when you are finally ready to look for a job, the job market will be better than it is now. In my area at least, jobs are very difficult to find right now, and many people have been laid off.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations Russ! God is good!

    You can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives you the strength!

    Blessings to You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks, Jeff.

    Yes this will basically be a third set of revisions.

    Keep posted for related work.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yeah, you might think you're big and bad and "all that" because you passed your PhD, but guess who just requested to be my Facebook friend?

    Larramie Doc Shaw!

    What's that? You never HEARD of Larramie Doc Shaw? Well, lemme tell you...he plays Malik Payne on the TV show, "Tyler Perry's House of Payne," which is one of my favorite TV shows. It's family-friendly and HILARIOUS! Tyler Perry is a Christian. His highly successful plays include "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and others. On Christmas of 2004, Tyler Perry did an original special on stage for the Christian Television Network (TBN) called "Madea's Christmas."

    So who's big and bad and "all that" NOW, huh, Dr. PhD man?

    LOL!

    I don't know if you're familiar with the very old Ken-L-Ration song in bygone commercials, but here is my rendition of it:

    "My head's bigger than your head,
    My head's bigger than yours!
    My head's bigger 'cause I know Doc Shaw,
    My head's bigger than yours!"

    Signed,
    A very silly friend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. ...working to increase the number of comments here, in honor of you passing the PhD...

    ReplyDelete
  38. I remember the comic book with Spider-Man and Doc Savage...

    Cheers;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. All Saints Church in Bakewell is an amazing church! It is quite remarkable that you were able to walk through it! I wonder who in history has walked through this church??
    -Just Curious-

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yes, and a man who worked at the Church gave us some information on the building outside after closing time.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jeff,

    Yes comments should continue until the revisions are completed.:)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hey Russ -
    Promoted your blog
    on FaceBook today:O)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations Russ,

    Moreover, what's so wonderful is, not only are you a scholar, but a down to Earth kind man.

    Best wishes on your future endeavors.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congrats Russ!

    We all knew you could do it!

    Continue to hold firm to the Word of Truth Russ and win many for the glory of God!

    May the Lord continue to be with you in all your studies and endeavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Watch any Japanese Samurai Movie, they all have they were going to die, fatalism view. Rick b

    ReplyDelete
  46. That is an excellent point, Rick. It is a reflection of an impersonal view of God.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Russ,
    I see that you have spent some time in finding who says what about fatalism and determinism. You are aware of where I have found volition to fit in with God's activity.

    If you play chess, I would love to play with you as my opponent. When two players become familiar with one another's playing style, the chess board can easily become bound up to where it is a risk for either player to move.

    I like to look at the choices we make as having compatible deterministic qualities when we are considering God's interaction with us. Of course, God has all of the knowledge of our behavior and thought. He knows what we will do before we do. In chess, the person who is able to accurately predict his opponents move, as well as see further down the line of available moves in turn, can play his opponent to fatal consequence. I see God as always seeing ahead. He moves accordingly and we think we are making responsible decissions. However, we don't always take the gambet. This is how we avoid God's will. Then God plans another series of moves. Eventually He gets us to play 'safe' and follow His will for us.

    This is just my way of describing what I feel "predestination" is.

    I do agree with Stace:

    "If human actions are uncaused then reward or punishment would be unjustified. Stace (1952)(1976: 29). Stace reasons that there must be at least some human cause within human actions to make them morally responsible acts. Stace (1952)(1976: 30).
    "


    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  48. 'You are aware of where I have found volition to fit in with God's activity.'

    As have I, but it is not libertarian or incompatibilistic free will. God simultaneously wills free human choice and action.

    If you reason that compatibilism does not allow for human choice, there is a misunderstanding. The human choice is made within God's will and within human nature. As human nature is finite and corrupted, the choice is NOT libertarian.

    'I see God as always seeing ahead. He moves accordingly and we think we are making responsible decissions. However, we don't always take the gambet. This is how we avoid God's will. Then God plans another series of moves. Eventually He gets us to play 'safe' and follow His will for us.'

    Jim, since God is infinite and omnipotent and existed before creation, we are always in God's will as Calvin pointed out. This can either be in obedience or disobedience. The chosen/elect will eventually, at least in the next life, be soft determined into obedience toward Christ, whereas the non-elect will not.

    Stace is correct there is some human cause in human choice in order that there be moral responsibility. However, human choice is a secondary cause and God's will and choice is always the primary cause.

    Jim I suggest you read:

    CALVIN, JOHN (1543)(1996) The Bondage and Liberation of the Will, Translated by G.I. Davies, Grand Rapids, Baker Book House.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  49. If you were able to create a desire in someone, would that not still be their choosing, since they are choosing what they desire, even though you put that desire in them?

    After we're saved, God gives us new desires. We now desire to serve Him.

    Therefore, could it also be that He gives to the Elect the desire to be saved?

    I don't know. I'm just wrestling with this.

    With computer chips, robots and our knowledge about DNA, there is programming. I'm wondering if God not only 'programs' our hair color, skin color, eye color, talents, etc. into us, but whether He also programs the desire, or something, into the Elect that He does not program into those who are not the Elect? Maybe all people have free choice, but He programs something additional into the Elect that 'pushes' them or 'prompts' them, and 'guarantees' that they will choose Him?

    If God can 'program' hereditary traits in people, can He not also program other things into them, which also help define who that person is? Things that will guarantee that they will choose to be saved? Maybe something that overrides that incompatibility to choose God on their own?

    And does the Holy Spirit not prepare the heart of a person to be saved? If so, then I would see that as God's initiative.

    Again, I'm just wrestling with ideas. To try to fully and completely understand God, since we are only human beings, is impossible. We cannot even fully and completely understand ourselves. But at least we have spiritual wisdom that the unsaved do not have.

    Anyway, that's just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  50. 'And does the Holy Spirit not prepare the heart of a person to be saved? If so, then I would see that as God's initiative.'

    Yes.

    I was asked how God persuades in my viva. I explained that it is not force or coercion but God through the Holy Spirit influences persons through Scripture, preaching and other things.

    NASB

    Matthew 4: 17

    17(A)From that time Jesus began to preach and say, "(B)Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

    God regenerates which leads to justification and sanctification and eventually resurrection. Repentance from sin in a full sense is a result of being regenerated, but one can be told to repent as a means of conviction of sin and separation from God.

    Thanks, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Now, to balance it out, and also for the sake of others here who may not believe in Election, or who may not agree on the definition of sanctification, I would also say that we cannot just sit back and say, "OK, I'm saved and going to Heaven. I have my 'fire insurance.' Now I can live like I want." I think Paul addresses this to some degree (his response is basically, "God forbid!"). This also affects the Bema Seat Judgment, or Judgment Seat of Christ, where rewards will be given out, and those things not done for Christ's sake will be burned up.

    I believe that God partners with us in basically all that we do. When we witness to others, we do the telling, but it is God Who gives us the power, the wisdom and the words to say. And it is God Who prepares the heart of the person we are speaking to, who died for their sins in the first place, and Who regenerates them. We get the easy part (talking), and God does the rest (the hard part).

    Likewise, in being born again, we do the easy part (surrendering/accepting/committing), and God does the hard part. I suppose the mystery is, how much do we do, and how much does God do? In everything we do, I see that God, by FAR, does most of it, and also that God does the hard part.

    Also: our bodies were created by God. Our mind was created by God. Our spirit and soul were created by God. Our abilities come from God. Salvation comes from God. Our ability to speak, think, and reason come from God. Our ability to make decisions come from God. The Bible says that how long we live is directed by God. Everything we have comes from God. And even the major events of the world, and the future, are directed by God. So, I would think that, when we talk about "free will," there would have to be a certain amount of confinement or restriction that would have to apply, since everything comes from God in the first place, including our will.

    ReplyDelete
  52. 'This also affects the Bema Seat Judgment, or Judgment Seat of Christ, where rewards will be given out, and those things not done for Christ's sake will be burned up.'

    Believers should always be concerned with this judgment, as am I.

    'So, I would think that, when we talk about "free will," there would have to be a certain amount of confinement or restriction that would have to apply, since everything comes from God in the first place, including our will.'

    We have a finite will and God's is infinite. He is the first cause and he simultaneously wills all the actions and choices we make with significant freedom.

    We have a corrupted nature which means all of our choices are made within that nature. Through regeneration we can begin to commit actions and choices through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

    Thanks, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Congratulations on your Phd and good job with the examination! Sorry for not stopping by recently, but life has been really weird. God's blessings on your revisions and once again, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hey, Russ. Again, congrats!

    Most of your writing is a bit beyond my layman comprehension (but don't feel bad). In general, I'm a very strong proponent of free will. Any deviation from that can very easily lead to the argument that we're not responsible for our own actions, and (even worse!) that God is unjust for punishing us for His own failings in creating flawed beings.

    ReplyDelete
  55. And yet libertarian free will simply does not work for reasons I have pointed out on numerous occasions. I reason we have limited free will.

    Check these out Greg and thanks.

    Edwards and free will

    Arminianism and free will

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi, Russ. Thanks for pointing me to those previous posts. You have done more research into these topics than anyone I have ever met. Not being familiar with the terminology, the articles were hard to follow. I'm sorry only that I do not possess the patience and inclination to study your arguments in-depth.

    I think I did get a slightly better understanding of Calvin's beliefs, which up till now, I wholeheartedly opposed, partly because I didn't understand them very well. Now I think I just mostly oppose them, mainly because I don't see how his philosophy is compatible with evangelism. If people can only be saved if they are called by God, and God has predetermined who He will call, then where does that leave Christ's commission for us to spread the Gospel to all the earth?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thanks for the honesty, Greg. Thanks for the kind words.

    Your latest objection can be answered. This is a common misunderstanding of at least moderate Reformed views.

    'If people can only be saved if they are called by God, and God has predetermined who He will call, then where does that leave Christ's commission for us to spread the Gospel to all the earth?.

    Within evangelism God can use the Bible, preaching, human interaction and circumstances in life within the regeneration process. So God transforms and persuades the elect through both supernatural and natural means.

    This means soft determinism does not have God forcing or coercing a person to salvation but has God moulding a person to salvation.

    Since the human being is corrupted and outside of God and Christ and does not seek God (Romans 3), a person will not be saved if simply and only left to an intellectual choice as one must be soft determined/moulded. Without being predetermined persons would be bound to permanent rebellion against God as the human nature and resulting choices would never be regenerated to the point of being able to accept the gospel.

    Election is found in Romans 8 and Ephesians 1.

    ReplyDelete