Thursday, January 17, 2008

McTheology


Westminster, London (photo from trekearth.com)

PhD revisions are going well, and I am now working on writing an afterword and revising the entire work in order to send it over to Wales. Thank you for all the support!

Hebrews 9:27 informs the reader of the New American Standard Bible, that it is appointed once for men to die and after this comes judgment. This is for all persons, Christian or non-Christian, and if the Bible is a true representation of God's plans, and I reason it is, it should be a somewhat troubling end for even the most committed Christian. It is somewhat troubling for several reasons, but I provide two. Firstly, death often requires suffering prior to it. Secondly, judgment comes with some uncertainty of how God will view a person, even those of us he has saved through Christ's atoning and resurrection work.

Philp Edgcumbe Hughes notes that although the New Testament does speak of some that will not experience death, this is an exception to the rule. These persons however, will not die twice. Hughes (1990: 387). Those extremely rare persons by God's grace who do not die will be translated into a resurrection body as will those eventually who died. Therefore, the overall effect is the same. There is not a multiplicity of deaths leading to judgment, and if someone was to die medically and be resuscitated they would not have faced God's final judgment. Lazarus comes to mind here.

Hughes states that from this verse it can be understood the human beings are mortal by nature. Immortality is controlled by God alone and persons are dependent on God for the continuance of life. Hughes (1990: 387). Human beings are not potentially, but are actually mortal, due to sinfulness. Death is a judgment in itself and is followed eventually by a final judgment. Hughes (1990: 387). P.H. Davids explains that as God is the source of life, death is a result of being cut off from God. This process began with Adam and now involves every person and brings about a separation from God because of sin. Davids (1996: 300). Those who trust in Christ still experience physical death, but due to the resurrection, states Davids, will pass on from death to life. Davids (1996: 300).

With my sleep apnea I am not near death as of yet, but I am heading in that direction at a faster than normal rate. I face suffering relating to eventual death, even if treatment for my sleep apnea extends my life significantly. My Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)(removal of tonsils and uvula) and Rhinoplasty (nasal reconstruction and tip reduction) surgeries have assisted me minimally, instead of reversing the ailment substantially. I will be visiting with my surgeon soon concerning purchasing a CPAP machine.

CPAP treatment is used in most patients who have obstructive sleep apnea. With CPAP, the patient wears a snugly fitting nasal mask attached to a fan that blows air into the nostrils to keep the airway open during sleep. Because most people sleep with their mouth closed, the mouth usually does not have to be covered, but a chin strap can be used if necessary. Victor (1999: 1).

My surgeon explained to me that many people benefit significantly from CPAP, but most persons give up on it and some pursue surgery as CPAP does not work optimally. Sadly, the government here in British Columbia, even with our socialized medicine will not cover any jaw surgery for sleep apnea. I have a severe receding jaw, and I need a type of jaw surgery for a partial or full cure.

Jaw surgery is the most invasive surgical procedure used to treat obstructive sleep apnea. Patients who have a small, retrognathic mandible and have failed more conservative treatments may be candidates for this approach. The surgical procedure may be limited to pulling the tongue forward (genioplasty). An extensive procedure may entail moving both the mandible and maxilla. Extensive jaw surgery has a higher complication rate and a longer recovery time. Victor (1999: 1).

The mandible lower jaw surgery is $15,000 here in BC, plus the dental work and as stated is not covered by the provincial government, and if I would need the maxilla surgery, my surgeon states it is $100,000 at Stanford University. An additional problem is that even though I am a small eater and work out on average an hour a day, if one has a severe receding jaw, as I do, it is very difficult to lose weight.

Weight loss is the simplest treatment for obstructive sleep apnea in obese patients...Moreover, success may be limited if patients also have anatomic deficits in the jaw. Victor (1999: 1).

I am in the process of seeking assistance from the BC government, regardless.

I appreciate my true friends that have suggested that I try eating this or that, or attempt exercising this way or that way, but under normal circumstances, unless I were to change careers and find a job where I would work out all day, there will not be any chance of significant weight loss. Even if I lost significant weight, the apnea would still likely lead to nocturnal cardiac arrhythmias. Victor (1999: 1). I already have an arrhythmia which was found prior to my two apnea surgeries, although at this point two anaesthesiologists have stated that it could be an athlete's heart with a slow heart beat due to my life of steady exercise, and/or it could be a result of sleep apnea. If it is caused by apnea I could eventually have heart failure even if I am significantly lighter in weight due to abandoning my theology career to become a postman or whatever, in order to exercise as part of my job.

What I have not appreciated is the few individuals that have joked to my face that I eat too much McDonald's food or whatever. That is an insult to one that takes exercise and eating right quite seriously. One casual friend became so irritating and closed-minded concerning correction on this issue that it was a major reason I ceased seeking his mcfriendship. I accept and provide constructive criticism at times, and that is fair and hopefully in love, even when there is disagreement, but I will not continually correct someone that challenges my motives and ethics, and that includes my eating, unless they can provide overwhelming evidence to prove me in error.

DAVIDS, P.H. (1996) ‘Death’, in Walter A. Elwell (ed.), Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, p. 803. Grand Rapids, Baker Books

HUGHES, PHILIP. (1990) A Commentary On The Epistle To The Hebrews, Grand Rapids, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

VICTOR LYLE D. M.D. (1999) 'Obstructive Sleep Apnea', American Family Physician, Volume 16, Number 8, November 16, 1999. Leawood, Kansas, American Family Physician.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/991115ap/2279.html


This photo is from Professor Howdy in my links.

Please click on my latest link from satire and theology which features some interesting controversial and hopefully thought provoking video clips.

http://satireandtheology.blogspot.com/2008/01/attention-getting.html

16 comments:

  1. Hi Russ:-)

    I hope you get the treatment you need.

    What you said towards the end about the one friend and the MacD meals, its also the reason I have lost quite a few friends, and distance myself further than I would normally from a few others. As you may imagine with something in the realms of "ultra rare" ignorance abounds, even amongst medics, so friends needlessly causing extra hassle in the way you described, wasn't something I was willing to tolerate indefinitely after same as you, trying to correct misperceptions. Anyway, this all to day, I hope you get the treatment you need, and understand fully about friends who become in their own way part of the affliction in their lack of understanding and false perceptions, so can empathise on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deejay.

    Mcfriend was never a close friend, and although intelligent often attacked my walk with the Lord. He suggested I was a spiritual rebel for not buying into all the revival theology of the 1990s and would make negative comments concerning my weight, eating habits and martial arts ability. I had sparred with him and was better and he deduced that I thought I was another Chuck Norris which I never was and will never be, as Norris was a world champion. Besides my focus has always been self-defence and street fighting defence and not tournament fighting and I learned much from the time I was attacked in Manchester in 2000.

    Basically, as a Christian and a finite sinner, I need to be open to constructive criticism, but I will not tolerate abuse, unless the Lord calls me to be a martyr. Through some of my academic struggles with authorities that I trusted and then mistreated me (both Christian and non-Christian), I have learned that I need to be firmer, but respectful with authority and/or those claiming to be able to correctly advise and criticize me. Most professors and fellow students that have known my work have supported me moving on for a PhD, but the ones that did not were often the persons that apparently did not like me personally. It is strange how that works! Some pretend to be basically objective and are not. For those of you who wonder why this blog and satire and theology are not always 'nice and 'fluffy', well the theology academic business is tough and although I am quite a nice guy, and hope with the Holy Spirit's guidance I am an improving person in Christ, I need to stand up for myself at times or risk being intellectually smacked.;) I have been smacked a few times and it is no fun. I would prefer to initially defend myself in a Christ-like manner and avoid the risk of sin through prolonged confrontation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a goofy-looking Ronald McDonald! A paper cup over his nose, and a tray of food for a hat?
    I doubt he would stay so spry, jumping around like that, if he kept eating all the magically appearing food...

    There is a guy next door to my father in his nursing home who suffers from sleep apnea. He has a tracheostomy (like my father) and uses a ventilator to help him breathe at night. I pray that your condition does not become so severe as to require this, or that you can get corrective surgery done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Chucky.

    The 1963 Ronald is pretty silly! I noticed that the original McDonald's food looked more like typical burger and fries one would purchase at a restaurant and did not have the distinct McDonald's look of the last 35 years that I have experienced.

    With God's help, I will do my best to overcome this sleep apnea and certainly never want to even consider having a tracheostomy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck on your endeavors of improving and elongating your life

    I really hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much, and all prayers appreciated.

    Please have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Health is priceless and so important. Greater than wealth and riches a healthy body is an incredible blessing that enables us to enjoy our lives that God has given us in many ways. I hope that your health and quality of life improve as you seek ways to treat your sleep disorder. May you have many years of health and happiness ahead of you Mr. Kingpin.
    -Doctor Sleepy-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, and I suppose the approximately six Big Macs I eat per year are greatly contributing to my sleep apnea problem, right Doctor?

    Does anyone know of a cheap and safe way to move my jaw (mandible) forward?;)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing I've learned in life in regards to one's diet, is that moderation is a great rule when it comes to eating. All the best and "You Deserve A Break Today" but perhaps not at Rotten Ronnies.
    -Dr. Diet-

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the best and "You Deserve A Break Today" but perhaps not at Rotten Ronnies.
    -Dr. Diet-


    And yet you drove me to Rotten Ronnie's for a milkshake tonight...thanks.

    Are you trying to make my apnea worse? You can't have my comics.

    A question, is Ronald McDonald related to the late Bob Ross?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Russ,

    You don't look overweight to me.
    Let's go to MacDonald's...

    Your Friend,
    Prof Howdy

    P.S. I have heart problems but
    maybe the Lord will return* and
    then we'll both miss out on death.

    *Translation/Rapture/Disappearance

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks very much Professor, for the kind words.

    I have no problem with eating at McDonalds, Burger King, Dairy Queen and related occasionally. My weight has fluctuated the last few years and is at a high presently. That combined with my increased fatigue (the same as it was prior to my Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and Rhinoplasty surgeries) is a major concern. However, I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow and hopefully will be using CPAP soon. Since I do not eat very much, I may see a loss of weight and increased energy with CPAP shortly.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Russ, I'm sure you have gotten all the "eat this" suggestions you can stomach, but please humor me with this. I have seen some amazing things out of a capsule made from the "Noni" fruit which I think you can find in Canadian health shops or maybe even pharmacies. One young man I knew in Ontario is completely free of a severe congenital asthma as long as he is using the noni, and claims are made that it works amazingly well for apnea as well. If the other option is mandible relocation, hey, I'd try it..!

    Also- a link swap might be a plan- what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Robert. I look forward to linking. I will look into Noni.

    It is really good to meet you.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Jeff.

    Your blog looks good, and I am always looking for new readers, commenters and links.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete