Saturday, February 09, 2008

Religious superiority?


Burnaby BC (photo from trekearth.com)

Jurgen Moltmann writes that the resurrection message of the early Christian community was the anticipation of what was to come. Moltmann (1993: 177). The resurrection of Christ created the hope for the eventual world of a new righteousness. Moltmann (1993: 177). Robert Mounce explains that in the new heaven and new earth the life of the believer will be transformed in completion. Mounce (1990: 388). Believers will share the likeness of God, and this will be a life of moral perfection. John Calvin explains that God would begin anew in humanity by abolishing the fallen will, leaving the human will in its original state. Calvin (1539)(1998: Book II, Chapter 3, 6). God would turn evil to good, according to Calvin, thus bringing a new humanity, which was a new creation. Calvin (1539)(1998: Book II, Chapter 3, 6). This human restoration and rebirth would lead to the culmination of the Kingdom of God, and the ultimate blessing of immortality. Calvin (1552)(1995: 13).

Christians of all theological groups that trust in the Biblical God and Christ for salvation can reason that they shall be part of the finalized Kingdom of God. Salvation is a work of God as Christ completed the atoning work and resurrection and believers simply receive the gospel in grace through divine guided faith. Believers are saved by grace through faith, and not through self, as it is a gift from God, as Ephesians 2:8 explains. Ephesians 2:9 notes persons are not saved by works and that no one should boast. Verse 10 reasons that followers as the workmanship of God, should produce good works. Christians are sinners (Romans 1, 2, 3:23, 6:23) that by nature and choice cannot please God by their own power. Salvation since believers are not as of yet resurrected, is a process, although persons in Christ are saved. Christians are at this point therefore imperfect, and even while guided by God this imperfection certainly would be reflected in life, including theology.

Do I ask the Lord that my theology be always correct? Yes. Is it? Well, I think usually the Lord guides me to the truth the first time, but sometimes within God’s will it takes some time and thought to have a better understanding of theology, in particular secondary issues outside of salvific and nature of God doctrines. The need for theological development within a Christian life, and overall spiritual progress to me demonstrates that Christians, even if adhering to Biblical essentials should take a humble approach in theological interaction with others, both Christian and non-Christian.

I have been within the Christian community since 1988 as an adult. I must first state that most of my interaction with Christians both on and off-line has been positive, and so I am not broad-brushing the Christian community here. Without attempting to judge any hearts and motives, I am concerned by the possible attitudes of religious superiority or spiritual superiority, if you prefer, which, I have come across over the last twenty years. I have had pastors who are focused on evangelism and missions work that negate me as a theology student, and now theologian, as some seem to view academic theology as too abstract an unimportant. They somewhat fail to realize that academics and theologians deal with theological issues in order that this information filters down to evangelism and missions work. 1 Corinthians 12:27-31 notes that there are different types of members within the community of Christ in regard to duties, and I see teachers are on the list. Certainly it can be reasoned that some of those teachers should be able to teach and reason at an academic level in order to assist the Christian community.

At a Christian University, I had an advisor who seemingly did not like the fact that I pushed for top grades and desired to be a philosophical theologian and not a pastor, and he appeared to lose interest in advising me properly with my dissertation project. He would strongly criticize many other Christian academics and told me that I listened too much to the previous theologian that he had replaced. My advisor left the University for another job and provided a negative note concerning my work for the review board. Having followed all his instructions, the project did not go as well as I hoped, but I did manage to have the note removed from my record. The University informed me that my former advisor has no experience as an advisor. His actions and attitude demontsrated a possible aura of religious/spiritual superiority over me as if should give up academics and pursue something else. He told the review board I could not do the work. Thankfully, by advancing to a higher level degree and completing a distance learning MPhil dissertation on the problem of evil as a moderate conservative in a liberal institution, with no revisions after making, and no local advisor, I have proven him wrong. God willing, when I pass my PhD dissertation with similar circumstances he shall be proved wrong again, and all my chapters have been accepted by my advisor so far. I am not bragging here, and I would not succeed without God’s guidance and the help of good advisors, but my point is that this Christian advisor would not properly assist me and it very well could be because of an attitude of religious/spiritual superiority. Although we agreed on primary issues and I was an A grade student, he for whatever reasons through his actions and lack of proper assistance caused my career aspirations to come under attack. With my first PhD appointment in England, my advisor was away for a year and the professors there who are religious, but not likely mainly Biblical Christians, forced me out of the department because I would not give up on the idea that God created the world, and the problem of evil existed. They too stated I could not do the work, and they too have been proven wrong…thank God.

Through blogging, I have been disturbed by the dogmatism of a small minority of Reformed blogs that have few links and portray an attitude of religious superiority as if Reformed doctrine is basically equal to Biblical doctrine authority wise. I am a Reformed theologian with some Baptist leanings that is pleased to be a member of a Presbyterian Church, but there is room for debate on secondary issues. On my blogs I take strong Reformed stances on theodicy, free will and sovereignty, but I try to write and interact in a loving and respectful way in order to promote dialogue with those with differing perspectives. I will always be a student first and a teacher second, and so there is room to humbly consider other perspectives, even if I know I will likely not change my mind on certain issues. Lately, I have also been troubled by the minority of Christian blogs I have visited that join BlogRush and then will not even publish my comments on their blog. I am looking for new readers, commenters, and links and one should at least respectfully publish my comment even if my theology is not his/her cup of tea. I do not expect everyone to desire to link with me.

All Christians are to share in the eventual culminated Kingdom and so let us interact respectfully and with an open-mind concerning secondary issues with our brothers and sisters of different Christian camps. Those with very dogmatic largely non-interactive approaches and blogs miss opportunities to share their perspectives and possibly influence others in thought, due to their closed-minded approach.

CALVIN, JOHN (1539)(1998) The Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book II, Grand Rapids, Wheaton College.
http://www.smartlink.net/~douglas/calvin/

CALVIN, JOHN (1552)(1995) Acts, Translated by Watermark, Nottingham, Crossway Books.

MOLTMANN, JURGEN (1993) The Crucified God, Minneapolis, Fortress Press.

MOUNCE, ROBERT H. (1990) The Book of Revelation, Grand Rapids, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.


Burnaby BC (photo from trekearth.com)

http://satireandtheology.blogspot.com/2008/02/space-real-and-phony.html

20 comments:

  1. Attitudes like the ones you describe are lame. There's a difference between sticking to what you believe and criticizing/attacking others for believing something different. I do believe that certain doctrines and religions are right and that others are wrong, but that doesn't give me the right to mistreat people who believe differently from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David.

    Congratulations with the eye surgeries. I have been on CPAP for three nights now and I am more used to it and look forward to much better health.

    I agree with your comments and sadly if some of these very dogmatic folks would chill a bit and interact more with others in a friendly respectful manner, they would influence more persons with their theology. Sometimes these folks mainly stick with their own and do not want to be challenged very much, I reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Taking things further, I also think there is often too much uncalled-for animosity between churches of different denominations, which prohibits opportunities for cooperation and mutual growth. This is potentially a bigger problem in Canada, where the percentage of people who are Christian is much smaller (and especially so in secular Vancouver). The Presbyterian church Russ & I attend has, however, been fighting this mentality by working together with a Nazarene church in the neighbourhood on a number of occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good point, Chucky, and the Nazarenes are not Calvinists and we still are!

    Chucky, please check out my funny Space 1999 clip on satire and theology.

    Russ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its a very fine line to walk, between tolerance, (by that I mean indulgence sinfully so on our part) and upholding the things we believe. However, even if someone believes as the mormons do for instance, that doesn't give any Christian the right to verbally attack their person. Disputing their beliefs and theology at times, tho, without indulgence, often comes off as dogmatic, when its not. It's a case of putting God before man. I have seen some very ungracious behavour even from Reformed Christians to other Refomred Christians, because they vary on certain issues. Its not always us Reformed agianst non reformed or the like. Its one of the problems in the church today, ISTM, that the house is so divided. Even within Presbyterianism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good comments, Deejay.

    I desire to critique viewpoints, and if need be, persons, in a respectful open-minded manner.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent attitude of being a student first and a teacher second. Again respectfully written article that displays humility yet assertiveness, understanding, and intellect...attributes of a great soon to be teacher!
    -Lenny Learny-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lenny.

    May the Lord guide me.

    Thanks as well for the little grappling work out. I like to put the books to use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very good blog Russ. I most certainly have not done the vast research as you have done and could not even humbly discuss my faith in the one true God, but I am always eager to learn more. I am thinking perhaps those who will not even humbly discuss or post your blogs may be uncertain as to their own beliefs, and possibly are unable to answer questions that could be posed. Perhaps this uncertainty causes them to back away and not respond, as it could be proven in discussion that they have these uncertainties, and as such makes them feel somewhat inferior in their own beliefs. It is not an easy thing to argue a point if you have not researched it and searched diligently for the truth. We need to keep praying that at some point the truth will appear to them as well. Keep up the excellent work Russ. You are already a great teacher, and that PhD is near at hand. May God bless you in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK OK, I have to tell you I haven't read the whole post, rather long to me... yet so interesting. I've come across the bit saying about the importance of studying theology and I do agree it's something absolutely necessary. Pure research will always help.
    ciao and God bless you
    br.freddie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Anonymous.

    I am thinking perhaps those who will not even humbly discuss or post your blogs may be uncertain as to their own beliefs, and possibly are unable to answer questions that could be posed.

    I agree, and perhaps some are too certain concerning their beliefs on secondary issues. I have found that some Christians and those who are religious within a Christian tradition can be unwilling to dialogue with an open-mind with those that differ. These types of persons have caused me problems over the years. Figuratively speaking, it is as if I need to carry a Bible in one hand and a club in the other.;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Freddie.

    It is good to hear from you again and I hope I can continue to share theological research. I have been working on making my articles shorter.;)

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have related a sad truth, Russ.

    I left one church because it became a dictatorship. At one point, I had requested prayer because I would be witnessing to a Jehovah's Witness. The newly elected elder (who had only attended the church for less than a year, and hardly even knew me) commanded me not to try to witness to the J.W. I tried to discuss the issue with the elder, but he would not listen. He claimed that, if I disobeyed him (or even if I disagreed, because in fact, I had not taken any action at that point to either obey or disobey), then I was in sin. Unfortunately, the Pastor fully backed the Elder, simply because the Pastor had just recently chosen him, and wanted to give the Elder his full support in his new position. After I left the church, I found out that the church was voting on whether or not to allow the leadership to make all the decisions for the church without any input from the congregation. In my opinion, a spirit of control had taken over that church. I later learned that they announced in front of the congregation that no one was to have any contact with me. In my opinion, such actions are similar to a cult. Two people I know have experienced almost the same thing at various churches they have attended in the past.

    In general, Satan knows that if the Body of Christ (the Invisible Church) ever came together (i.e., in prayer, in fellowship, etc.) as one, this world would be turned upside-down for Christ. Instead, black churches generally meet separately from white churches; denominations build walls of separation between them; people get hung up on minor gray areas; etc.

    I can't speak for other countries, but I suspect that the best thing for American Christians might be heavy persecution. If that were to happen, then maybe American Christians would forget their selfish and materialistic focus on prosperity, wealth and health; their denominational differences; and their attitudes of superiority. Maybe then they would come together as one, focusing only on the Lordship of Christ, the Son of God, and forget all their minor differences and squabbles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Jeff, a very good essay.

    I later learned that they announced in front of the congregation that no one was to have any contact with me. In my opinion, such actions are similar to a cult.

    The words of the late Walter Martin, on-line, come to mind here. He was known for reviewing pseudo-Christian cults, but he noted that there are also Christian cults. These are Christian churches that hold to Christian essentials, at least officially, or in part, and yet have certain doctrines that are cultic. Often these types of churches try to have great power over members and attendees.

    In general, Satan knows that if the Body of Christ (the Invisible Church) ever came together (i.e., in prayer, in fellowship, etc.) as one, this world would be turned upside-down for Christ. Instead, black churches generally meet separately from white churches; denominations build walls of separation between them; people get hung up on minor gray areas; etc.

    Even if Christians disagree on secondary issues and therefore do not fellowship at the same church, there are still are opportunities to work together in Christ, but sadly these are often avoided. Here in 'blogland' we have Christians from many denominations or no denomination coming together to discuss issues and on many blogs this is done peacefully.

    I can't speak for other countries, but I suspect that the best thing for American Christians might be heavy persecution. If that were to happen, then maybe American Christians would forget their selfish and materialistic focus on prosperity, wealth and health; their denominational differences; and their attitudes of superiority.

    Yes, a good point, but I hope there can be some type of legitimate revival in the Western world without heavy persecution.

    I shall pass an email along concerning this essay, Jeff.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree Russ that if the secondary
    issues can't be discuss in love, then that person has a problem.

    I don't see how David is disagreeing with you???

    Now let's discuss the Rapture, Believer's Baptism & The Nation
    of Israel in Eschatology:O)

    Prof Howdy

    P.S. Seminary books that I have
    seen at great Presbyterian
    schools don't understand dispensationalism - they confuse
    it with Arminianism - just ask
    Drs. John MacArthur, Chuck Swindoll, Tony Evans, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Israel in Eschatology

    Yes, that is quite the complex topic, which I have not studied exhaustively.

    I think David and I basically agree.

    Thanks, Professor.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Russ. It's been a few days since you wrote it, and I've been busy up to now, so there's not much for me to add to the comments already here. I loved the one thing you said though: "I will always be a student first and a teacher second." That's great. I'd almost adopt that as my life motto (if I had a life motto).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Jake.

    Blogger allows 999 archived articles and one should feel free to comment on all articles until I reach 1000, and then number 1 shall be deleted. I view my articles as up for possible revision and even my MPhil ended up with some red lettering commentary, although I do not alter that actual published text.

    Jake, I linked one of your articles in my latest on satire and theology.

    Russ:>

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for digging back into the archives.

    You now have two pictures with this article.

    ReplyDelete