Friday, November 03, 2006

Eternal vs. Everlasting

Yahoo Images 

Eternal vs. Everlasting 

Interestingly in New Testament Greek according to J. Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, the same Greek word can be defined in English as either eternal or everlasting. The Greek word aíwvios (aionios) is explained as meaning perpetual, used of past time or past and future as well, eternal, for ever, and everlasting. Strong (1986: 8). Strong provides only one word for eternal or everlasting from the New Testament. Walter Bauer notes that in Romans 16: 25, a form of the word is used to describe a mystery of long ages ago without beginning. Bauer (1979: 28). In Hebrews 9: 14, a form of the word is used to describe the eternal Spirit and is mentioned as existing without beginning or end. Bauer (1979: 28). 

In Mathew 19: 29, Jesus discusses those that shall inherit everlasting life, and the word is used in a form that describes life existing without end. Bauer (1979: 28). The first verse appears to be describing a mystery that always existed with God, and in the second verse it mentions the Spirit of God that has always existed, and did not begin and will not cease. In the third verse the life Jesus discusses did not always exist, but everlasting life shall be given to some by God. There is a clear philosophical difference between the first two meanings and the last one. The first two examples, in my view, are describing aspects of the eternal God. Something which is eternal according to Simon Blackburn is not moving, and is beyond time, whereas the third example in light of Blackburn's definition is describing something that is everlasting and running within time. Blackburn (1996: 126). 

In the first two usages of the word the idea being put across is that the mystery existed within the mind of the eternal God, and that God’s Spirit was eternal. God is eternal, as in without beginning or end and is beyond time. Grenz, Guretzki, Nordling (1999: 47). The third verse is not describing eternal life, but everlasting life which has a beginning but no ending. The everlasting life of those in Christ is not eternal, but exists within time and continues to run within time and therefore this life should be properly defined as everlasting life as opposed to eternal life. This philosophical difference is why in my writings I only use the term eternal in the context of God and use the terms everlasting life, everlasting existence, or everlasting punishment when mentioning God’s created beings which exist in time. I am not trying to split hairs here, but rather wish to attempt to define my terms as properly as possible in order to avoid related theological and philosophical difficulties through the use of terminology in the future. 

This is not to deny some of the theological concepts which scholars and students use with the concept of eternal life. One student mentioned to me, while I lived in England, that we as Christians will share in the eternal life of God in the culminated Kingdom of God. I agree that we shall exist with God and experience his existence, but technically speaking he has eternal life, and we shall have everlasting life. God alone has always existed and therefore has eternal life. J.F. Walvoord notes that eternal life in Scripture is contrasted with physical life, and I completely agree. Walvoord (1996: 369). Whether the term is translated as eternal or everlasting life, I agree that it is the life that is opposed to physical temporal life from a Scriptural perspective. I would also add that it is contrasted with everlasting punishment for unbelievers. Whether we call it eternal or everlasting life it can only be found through Christ according to the Biblical account. 

BAUER, W. (1979) A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Translated by Eric H. Wahlstrom, Chicago, The University of Chicago Press. 

BLACKBURN, S. (1996) ‘Eternity’, in Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy,Oxford, Oxford University Press. 

GRENZ, STANLEY J., DAVID GURETZKI and CHERITH FEE NORDLING (1999) Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, Downers Grove, Ill., InterVarsity Press. 

STRONG, J. (1986) Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, Pickering, Ontario, Welch Publishing Company. 

WALVOORD, J. F. (1996) ‘Eternal Life’, in Walter A. Elwell (ed.), Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, Grand Rapids, Baker Books.

London, Greenwich

15 comments:

  1. Ok, this is not related to my article, but perhaps you need a laugh. My Mom is a sweet and supportive 71 year old disabled lady who could always use prayer. She lives downstairs and I live upstairs in a condo. Mom is tough though, and she asked me tonight what I would do if she slipped in the tub and needed help. I told her I would cover my eyes and it would be Nightmare on Fat Street. She tried hard not to laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for illuminating me as to the difference between eternal and everlasting. Its important to know the difference!!
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, and my Mom is not really fat, for the most part.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed both refreshing and sobbering to come across a Blog that has a voice inspiring from the Bible, and from the teachings of Jesus. Especially Today!

    K.Ray
    www.KeenKnowledge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, seriously, that rules. It's awesome when Christians pay attention to details like that and don't just write it off as unimportant. God pays attention to the details, doesn't He? And figuring stuff like that out helps you understand your faith so much more.

    I think in the past I've always just said 'eternal' life, but now I'm going to make sure to say 'everlasting.'

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers, David.

    In regards to your blog and my comments there, I shall pray that Israel works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thought comes to mind that perhaps since some linguists are not philosophical theologians or philosophers, they may not realize that there is a philosophical difference between using the terms "eternal life" or "everlasting life" when describing the eventual existence of those the Bible mentions as resurrected in Christ.

    This would show how much there is to learn in Christian studies. I am by no means a linguist or manuscript expert and I suppose many of the people that are experts would not be theologians or philosophers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everlasting life running within time.
    This raises another question. If God is outside of time, He is "eternal". So, to end time by ending the existance of Earth would mean that anything that is "ever lasting" would also come to an end, if the definition considers time to be a key element.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jim.

    In my view human beings will exist everlastingly within some type of time, not necessarily what we have now, but some type of time in order to process thoughts. God is eternal and infinite and knows all things, he does not need to reason as finite beings do.

    Theologically the end of time could be also understood in a sense as the end of the age.

    God can within time see different perspectives on an issue and therefore could in a sense 'change his mind', especially as circumstances change. But God is in control of these circumstances.

    The new heaven and new earth are not necessarily plain literal. I reason they are figurative literal. They are not brand new but restored versions of what we have presently. In a similar way our resurrection bodies will be restorations and advancements of our current ones.

    I appreciate you digging in the archives, Jim. I have decided only to do four articles per month per blog and realize things slow down this time of year.

    I have an article in mind for January 1.

    I wrote an updated version of this post...Everlasting vs. Eternal Reprised.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good info. We have Christ. Christ is the Eternal Life. 1 Jn 1. We have Eternal Life (in that sense). But I agree overall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking something similar, but why is everlasting used almost exclusively in the OT (usually describing God as everlasting to everlasting or the everlasting covenant), and eternal is used exclusively in the NT (mostly associated with life)?
    It's the same word in the original language, but how it's used in the english is the opposite of how you're describing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems the decision of translators and as noted most of them will not be philosophers or theologians.

    But, for the sake of peace in the Church I may state that we have everlasting life or existence (eternal), and then explain that in a sense we can share in God's eternal existence and life.

    Even philosopher Gary Habermas, who I have recently befriended stated online that we do have eternal life, and perhaps this is what he means.

    But I think the everlasting/eternal distinction is philosophically solid and certain without taking this and denying Scripture in any way.

    Thanks and blessings, Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by
    error, while I was browsing on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a marvelous post
    and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't
    have time to browse it all at the moment but I have saved it
    and also added mbbs in philippines - - your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up
    the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete