Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Brief On Omnipotence & Omniscience

Drina Gorge, Serbia_trekearth
















PhD Edit

Mill rejects Christianity[1] and traditional Christian doctrine concerning omnipotence.[2]  Mill’s deity is similar to the ‘Platonic Demiurge’ and this deity simply develops matter from preexisting chaos and therefore would not only be limited in power but also finite in nature.  Mill supports a concept of a first cause as in a series of events[3] but this leaves the nagging question and problem of what was the cause of the Demiurge?  An infinite eternal God can be understood as the first cause not needing a cause. A finite deity, although admittedly logically possible, requires further explanation. If the being is not revealed through Scriptural revelation, it is a God of primarily philosophical speculation and requires further elaboration on the part of Mill in regard to, for instance, why humanity should believe in and follow this type of deity, assuming that there is not a greater, infinite, eternal first cause that would necessarily exist behind that being.

October 21, 2014

Further

I take a Biblical, Reformed view that God causes and wills all things. It is demonstrated that God has sovereign control of creation from Genesis to Revelation as eternal God.

God, therefore would have complete omnipotence. God would be the first cause.

God would also have omniscience in regard to future events.

However, for balance, even if in reality somehow philosophically and theologically, God cannot be logically omniscient, as in the future cannot be known by an infinite, omnipotent being; God as first cause would cause the future along with secondary causes, and therefore the results would be the same.

Therefore, I hold that God does have omniscience, but even if God does not, God being infinite and omnipotent is still ‘virtually omniscient’ and still able to predict the future in Scripture and bring about eschatological events.

God certainly would be able to control the secondary causes, and each requires a primary cause.

A secondary cause having significant moral freedom as long as not forced or coerced to commit thoughts, acts, actions.

MILL, JOHN STUART (1789-1861)(2003) Utilitarianism and On Liberty, Mary Warnock (ed.), Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.

MILL, JOHN STUART (1825-1868)(1984) Essays on Equality, Law, and Education, John M. Robson (ed.), University of Toronto Press, Toronto, University of Toronto Press.

MILL, JOHN STUART (1833)(1985)(2009) Theism: John Stuart Mill, The Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, Volume X - Essays on Ethics, Religion, and Society, Toronto, University of Toronto Press.

MILL, JOHN STUART (1874)(2002) The Utility of Religion, London, Longman, Green, and Reader.

MILL, JOHN STUART (1874)(1885)  Nature the Utility of Religion and Theism, London,
Longmans, Green and Co. 



[1] Mill (1874)(2002: 16). 
[2] Mill (1833)(1985)(2009: 24).
[3] Mill (1833)(1985)(2009: 7). 

29 comments:

  1. Ever bought PLR without any intention to ever resell it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two men met recently and struck up a conversation. One was telling the other about some problems he was having with one of his kids.

    After a while the other guy said, "You think you have family problems? Get a load of my situation. A few years ago I met a young widow with a grown-up daughter and we got married. Later, my father married my stepdaughter. That made my stepdaughter my stepmother and my father became my stepson.

    "Also, my wife became mother-in-law of her father-in-law. Then the daughter of my wife, my stepmother, had a son. This boy was my half-brother because he was my father's son, but he was also the son of my wife's daughter, which made him my wife's grandson. That made me grandfather of my half-brother.

    "This was nothing until my wife and I had a son. Now the sister of my son, my mother-in-law, is also the grandmother. This makes my father the brother-in-law of my child, whose stepsister is my father's wife.

    "I am my stepmother's brother-in-law, my wife is her own child's aunt, my son is my father's nephew and I am my own grandfather. Wow! You think you have family problems."

    …..Copyright 2014 Mike Atkinson (www.mikeysFunnies.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (ChristianVoices@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Friends of Mukhanyo,


    You can now double the impact of your donation to Mukhanyo College!


    A generous donor has promised to match every Rand donated to Mukhanyo’s building project in KwaMhlanga. Please consider supporting this strategic investment in the future of missional education.


    We are thankful that more than 60% of the funds for this project have already been promised. Construction will begin early next year. Mukhanyo has section 18A status, so your donations are tax fee. Businesses can also earn BEEE points for contributions to Mukhanyo. See http://www.mukhanyo.co.za/support.html for more details.


    Sincerely, ~bdv


    Dr Brian de Vries, Principal
    Mukhanyo Theological College
    www.mukhanyo.co.za
    mukhanyo.blogspot.com
    +27 (0)79 933 9884

    ReplyDelete
  4. An expectant mom let her 4-year-old place his hand on her belly and feel the baby kick.

    He asked, "How does the baby get out of there?"

    To keep it simple, she just said, "The doctor will help."

    His eyes widened: "You've got a doctor in there, too?!"

    …..Copyright 2014 Mike Atkinson (www.mikeysFunnies.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (ChristianVoices@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'It's like a Chinese prison camp!' (Senior S/O after I describe his corp. shift in a caged area with no chair and no autonomous washroom break for 12 hours)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Join Billy Graham if you believe that Jesus Christ is the only hope for America!

    ReplyDelete
  7. John 3, John 14, the only hope for the world.

    The only hope for creation, Romans 8, Revelation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. REVEALED: The surprising secret to more RADIANT, YOUTHFUL and BEAUTIFUL skin...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello dear, after going through your profile on facebook i decide to contact you, please there is something i would want us to discuss, please reply me today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey this is is Leida and I'm from Turkmenia. I am that type of man who generally has pleasant mood every day, and I do not need to have much reason to be happy. I yourself have a good intuition and sometimes I prefer to trust to my feelings at current moment in order make a decision, than take my time and hardly think about all pluses and minuses. I currently do not have any priority about the country where I would like to build up my future, and I am not questing for a man from exactly this country. I am sure if you will find me interesting, you will find a way to win me, and made me be interested at you. He likes to surprise and please me and I'll do the same from my side. Sometimes he is impulsive but it makes our connection even yet interesting! He gives me a choice to work or be housewife, he never presses on me. Age difference is not so great for me, because age does not make man older, it makes him sexier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Latest Facebook Stats

    Women
    38%
    People Reached
    52%
    Your Fans
    Men
    62%
    People Reached
    48%
    Your Fans

    ReplyDelete
  12. The secret Asian "love tar" rocking US bedrooms

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, it's Matt - we're LIVE NOW

    ReplyDelete
  14. “Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow may not come. Today is the present. Open it with joy!”

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a Few Hours Before I Pull The Plug

    ReplyDelete
  16. A web page recommendation from www.trafficadlinks.com/link/wcs

    ReplyDelete
  17. COLOSSIANS 3:15 NKJ 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts,
    to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!


    The Spanish may not be a world power, but they still have some good ideas!

    This man is burying a dead pig.

    “So what.!” you might say. But please read on.

    Make sure you read the explanation at the bottom.

    People in the USA , Canada , the UK & Australia need to take a lesson from the Spaniards.

    In Seville Spain , local people found a way to stop the construction of another mosque in their town.

    They buried a pig on the site, and made sure this would be known by the local press.

    The Islamic rules forbid the erecting of a Mosque on "pig soiled ground."

    The Muslims had to cancel the project. This land was sold to them by government officials.

    No protests were needed by the local people...and it worked!

    Say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Warning: The Session Will Be Packed

    ReplyDelete
  20. Earn a BS in Theology from Moody Distance Learning

    ReplyDelete
  21. Top 4 reasons you're not sleeping well

    ReplyDelete
  22. How social rejection could hurt your body, too:

    ReplyDelete

  23. Priest's Retirement Speech
    A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish.
    A leading local politician and member of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.
    However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited: Thank Goodness we Catholics have a wonderful sense of humor!
    I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it.
    He had stolen money from his parents; embezzled from his employer; had an affair with his boss?s wife; had sex with his boss?s 17 year old daughter on numerous occasions, taken illegal drugs; had several homosexual affairs; was arrested several times for public nudity and gave VD to his sister-in-law. I was appalled that one person could do so many awful things.
    But as the days went on, I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good and loving people.?
    Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to make the presentation and gave his talk:
    I’ll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived, said the politician. In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go to him for confession.

    Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late
    --

    ReplyDelete

  24. 'Anonymous said...
    Top 4 reasons you're not sleeping well'

    I am now that sleep apnea is minimal...

    But stress is often a huge issue.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 'Anonymous said...
    How social rejection could hurt your body, too:'

    A person needs to work on becoming more social as becomes older, not less...

    ReplyDelete
  26. 'They buried a pig on the site, and made sure this would be known by the local press.

    The Islamic rules forbid the erecting of a Mosque on "pig soiled ground."'

    I am more concerned with radical Islam...

    ReplyDelete