Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Pray Harder!


Central, Wales

1 John 5:14-15 from the New American Standard Bible

And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to his will, He hears us.

And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked before Him.


Henry Clarence Thiessen writes that asking things according to God’s will is an aspect of abiding and having confidence in God. Thiessen (1956: 399). It suggests that the person praying has a correct condition of the heart. Thiessen (1956: 399). In his article, Theology of Prayer, Alan Richardson explains that from Jesus’ perspective, all of our prayers are answered, but not necessarily in the way we would have chosen. Richardson (1999: 458). D.G. Bloesch notes that God wants his followers to be in partnership with him, but prayer is fundamentally about sharing personal needs with God and being conformed to his divine will and purposes. Bloesch (1996: 867).

I reason that theology from 1 John 5:14-15, should conclude that Christians should ask God that they will pray and make requests along the lines of God’s will. Prayer should be primarily made for personal fellowship with God, and secondarily for personal requests. Even if an individual Christian is primarily being guided by the Holy Spirit in life, there is no guarantee that each and every heard prayer request will be answered according to the will of the human follower, but will be answered according to God’s will and purposes.

On Sunday, I had a discussion with a well-meaning young woman at church. She is one of these people that is always trying to be positive. She was telling me how she had been very down in an earlier part of her life and she prayed and God significantly lifted her spirits. She strongly believes that the Lord assisted her, and I am not trying to intellectually challenge this claim. My disagreement with her is when she tries to make her experience, theology for every case. She stated that in regard to me being single, I should not discuss or list legitimate reasons why I am single, but simply pray about it. I informed her that I have prayed about it for more than 20 years, and that God is sovereign and does not have to answer my prayers the way I want them to be answered. She then stated, pray harder! I am not using ad hominem here and attacking her personally with a name, but this really struck me as ding-dong theology. I am basically stating that it is foolish theology. God seemingly answered her prayer and gave her significant blessings when dealing with problems, but many believers throughout the ages, and today, have many problems and her theology is presumptuous to assume that persons simply need to pray harder to overcome difficulties. In regard to theodicy and the problem of evil, this type of theology is an example of the difficulty of placing too much emphasis on human free will, instead of God’s sovereignty, as if in every case, persons are suffering because they are doing something wrong, and not praying hard enough. 1 John 5:14-15 does not state that if we pray hard enough all of our prayers will be answered to our satisfaction, it states that our prayers will be heard when made within God’s will. Requests, as Richardson states, will be answered, but not necessarily according to what we as Christians desire. It must be remembered in regard to theodicy and the problem of evil, that God meets the needs of Christians in order to fulfill his purposes, and not necessarily in order to provide maximal human fulfillment in this present earthly realm.

BLOESCH, D.G. (1996) ‘Prayer’ in Walter A. Elwell (ed.) Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, Grand Rapids, Baker Books.

RICHARDSON, ALAN (1999) ‘Prayer, Theology of’ in Alan Richardson and John Bowden (eds.), A New Dictionary of Christian Theology, London, SCM Press Ltd.

THIESSEN, HENRY C. (1956) Introductory Lectures in Systematic Theology, Grand Rapids, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.


My latest Facebook Graffiti

6 comments:

  1. Great post! And deep question...

    Usually I find a way to deal with my seemingly unanswered pleads or at least I believe that God heard and answered them in his souvereign will and that I just have to keep the "why" in my heart, till I see him face to face one day.

    But some of my deepest hurts in Christianity have hit me, when others claimed, we as family hadn't prayed enough / believed enough and therefore my Mom had to die of cancer.
    Such words can crash a whole world in a few minutes and usually I react more than just a bit emotionally to those people.
    What do they know, how hard we prayed, hoped and believed? And how do they dare to judge this way?

    In a way I felt, that the comment of that young women goes in a similar direction.
    Boy, how calm you stayed. I think a might have gotten much more sarcastic to her.

    My personal goal is that I - even if no single of my deepest desires and prayers gets answered - stay right beneath my Lord. I am not on earth for my personal happiness and there is that scripture passage that says that "todays worries are small compared to eternity"... If I manage to cling to that promise, I think I might go the right way...

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helen.

    You make excellent points. The ‘why’ question is something that many Christians, would like to discuss with God. I know I would. I reason that many non-believers would like to question God as well. Life features blessings and sufferings, and as long as I am alive in this realm, I need to do God's will, and leave why questions for later. The bigger question for me is, how do I follow the Lord presently?

    In agreement with your comments, I reason that certain ding-dong/foolish theology leads to wrong assumptions concerning what God will do for folks if they will just pray in a certain way, and do this and that. This young woman is a nice person, but I think she has taken the positive mental attitude approach to a ridiculous extreme. I was mildly irritated in my discussion with her, but tried to remain respectful. Helen, you are right that you are not on earth for your personal happiness, and this spiritual truth is contrasted by what many in our world desire for their lives.

    This is a life that ends in death, and contains much suffering. I am all for human happiness and fulfillment with God's blessing, but realize that God can will suffering, and I hope I can be obedient in what God wills. This is difficult, but I am thankful for all blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh so right on both helen and kingpin's thoughts.
    The whole 'name it and claim it' mentality - WHEW! what a scam...
    Who are we to determine what the Good God of the universe deems us to walk through. I don't think that any of the followers of Christ in the 1st century would understand that so called 'theology'. I do understand that people want to be happy - but... come on. Can happiness ever be consistent? Joy, now Joy is always consistent. And I am thankful that I have the Joy in Him in whatever circumstance He places me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the very good comments.:)

    The whole 'name it and claim it' mentality - WHEW! what a scam...

    Having a positive mental attitude approach that ignores certain reality is bad enough, but making very questionable claims on God's will is even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mate I love this post. Before being in the ministry full time I was a member of Gideons. I will never forget what a wise old lady said to me at our last meeting with them as you cannot be in full time ministry (although I don't really agree with that because we are all in full time ministry) and be a Gideon at them same time. This is what she said: "God is never in a hurry but He will never be late." Love it and it has been my life line many time over the years. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "God is never in a hurry but He will never be late."

    Russell, that is a classic line, thanks.

    ReplyDelete