Monday, January 01, 2007

A philosophy of blogging


Gwbert, Wales

Happy New Year for 2007.

A philosophy of blogging

Some non-exhaustive thoughts on the topic:

1. I am thankful for those who support my blogs through reading, posting, and emailing. I am also thankful for those that read my blogs and although they do not support me, do not send me abusive negative comments or email. I can handle constructive criticism, whether I agree or disagree with it, but since I began blogging in 2004 I have only received one comment that I would consider a personal attack, and I published it for the sake of example in the Incarnation article. From now on I will simply delete any abusive comments or email and so it would be a waste of time sending it to me anyway. Blogger comment moderation is useful.

2. In my opinion those who want to have blogs where comments are only from people that agree with them, or are known personally, should set their sites up as private blogs that require a password to enter, or have a private web page. I dislike it when I comment on a blog only to receive some type of negative or intimidating message back like I did yesterday. For those who leave me that type of message, I say goodbye forever. I was not challenging the material on the blog, but because I was not one of them I was deemed as a potential threat perhaps. People are welcome to disagree with me on my blogs, but of course it feels better to have people agree with me, but I am not going to intimidate people that write comments I do not like, or are not one of my known supporters. I will not put up with abuse or someone that is not open-minded for a prolonged period, but with having two public blogs on the internet I should expect different opinions than my own, and if I do not want that occuring I should create a blog that needs a password to enter or should set up a private website. A few people that do not want contrary opinions, or different perspective on their blogs seemingly use the internet to attract people and then want to shut up dissenters or possible dissenters.

3. I have no problem with people commenting on my blogs that promote their own blogs, as long as they contribute when they comment. I comment on other blogs with valid comments and at the same time promote my own blogs. I will also accept blog compliments and give them, which is fair.

Russ;>

10 comments:

  1. Yet another good explanation of your personal blog philosophy, which in my opinion makes this blog an attractive site to visit and comment on.
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching Rick Warren (A Purpose Driven Life) on Meet the Press with Tim Russert recently.

    He made a tremendous point in that if we had to agree with every single point of view another person had in order for us to be civil to him or her then none of us would have any friends.

    He said that human beings should be capable of garnering a mutual respect for one another that says 'eventhough we disagree, we can still engage in a civil, mutually edifying conversation'.

    I couldn't help but think, "Isn't that exactly what Jesus did when he talked to the pharisees and dined with the sinners?" He didn't focus on what separated them, but instead focused on what they had in common - the love of God.

    This is probably the area I can most improve myself this new year: not allowing others' differing opinions hit me like a personal attack, but yet respecting them as fellow children of God.

    Sorry for rambling, but I've had this topic on my mind lately . . .

    Happy New Year's,

    W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wade, Happy New Year.

    I agree with you that people should be able to discuss issues with mutual respect. I realize that my blogs have agendas and so do other blogs, but bloggers in my view should expect some readers and people that leave comments to have different agendas. If the blogger cannot handle this fact, they should set up a private blog or website that controls access to the site, in my opinion. Personally, I want to respect everyone that has any contact with this blog, and I want to be respected, even when disagreement arises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russ,

    I agree with you! Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can understand your feelings as i have also came through such times.

    But you cannot expect everyone to leave a positive feedback.I prefer negative and controversial comments than positive ones.

    What i also suggest you is instead of having a password protected blog, let's make it more interactive.

    If someone disagrees with your post
    ans leaves a negative comments we should have the rights to reply it with out version.

    So a nice conversation grows and i develops like a thread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Amber. Controversial comments do attract readership I suppose. If people like the one that left that negative comment for me were allowed to continue to send me abusive comments it could create a 'circus' type environment which would be amusing, but not really what I desire for a philosophical theology blog. I am more willing to put up with some shenanigans on satire and theology, my other blog, but only to a point. With my blogs I would not mind a major disagreement as long as the commenter shows respect, which I would show as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my blogging reasons are that i don't want to feel alone but I'm not in it to share with people i already know. Am i looking for people to agree with me? I feel that's i'm here to share.
    I like your blog, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the blog comments. I will bookmark your blog. All the best with the baby!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete