Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Professor David A. Pailin (PhD Edit)

Trekearth.com: Manchester University

Preface

Although I earned my PhD thesis research degree at Wales, Trinity Saint David at Lampeter, preceded by my MPhil thesis research degree at Bangor University, I briefly previously worked at Manchester University and my advisor was Professor David Pailin.

I lived in Manchester for my most of my stay in the United Kingdom. I did visit the campus at Wales on other visits and like Wales very much.

As discussed in articles previously, the Professor I had agreed to work with was away for a year and the two Professors that had advised me were not supportive of my Reformed views in regard to God and the problem of evil.

As the environment was totally negative from the start, by their creation, I reasoned I was not going to succeed under the political circumstances and I tried to transfer to an affiliated Christian college for the same sanctioned Manchester University PhD.

An academic board was informed I could (supposedly) not do the work required and it was blocked.

Admitting life is not black and white; I will admit that my brief time with Professor Pailin did demonstrate he did have an Encyclopedia like knowledge of philosophy of religion, which I do respect.

By God’s grace, I soon did the academic work required on two occasions with MPhil and PhD theses at Wales.

Potential employers within academia have informed me on many occasions that based on my Curriculum Vitae, even though I am not the right fit for the position offered that my credentials within Theology and Philosophy of Religion are very impressive.

I may or may not find the right fit as far as employment, as my fields of expertise are limited; but case closed, the argument is over, I have the same level British PhD that Manchester offered.

Defence/Defense versus Theodicy

I reason Professor Pailin was correct in stating that the academic defence versus theodicy difference was minimal, contrary to what I read from Alvin C. Plantinga, although I found Plantinga's work very useful in my MPhil and PhD research.

I came to this conclusion myself as both approaches largely speculate in regard to the problem of evil, as human beings have finite knowledge, in comparison to God’s infinite knowledge, although a theodicy is expected to be more robust and dogmatic.

I cautiously embedded a theodicy within my PhD relying on Bible, philosophical theology and philosophy of religion.

Process Theology

David A Pailin (1999) explains that within some process theology approaches, God’s existence may be viewed as absolute, necessary and unchanging. However, God’s character can change and is determined through interaction with his creation. Pailin postulates that God’s character can change, as he loves his creatures. Pailin (1999: 469)

In my view, the divine nature does not have a physical body that can be altered, changed or die, as in John 4:24 where Jesus stated that God is spirit. God does not change as infinite.

Enlightenment

Pailin (1999) writes that since the Enlightenment era, the traditional propositional view of revelation has widely, but not completely, been replaced by the understanding that divine revelation comes through events. Pailin (1999: 505).

Enlightenment thinkers tended to reject external sources of knowledge and elevated human reasoning. Biblical doctrines were therefore under suspicion.

Deism

Pailin, defines deism as coming from the Latin word deus and parallels the Greek which is theos. Pailin (1999: 148). In modern times deism is used to define a supreme being who is the ultimate source of reality, but does not intervene in the natural and historical processes through revelation or salvific acts. Pailin (1999: 148).

Pailin writes that the common use of the term ‘theism’ does not carry the same negative implications. Pailin (1999: 148). He explains that historically deism is not so much a set of doctrines, but a movement, largely British, that became popular in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Pailin (1999: 148).

Many within deism will have doubts concerning concepts of supernatural religious doctrines, revelation and the authority of the Bible. Pailin (1999: 148). Pailin notes that some within deism desire to replace Christianity with a more ‘reasonable’ faith, and for others it is an attempt to produce a more ‘reasonable’ version of Christianity. Pailin (1999: 149).

PAILIN, DAVID A. (1999) ‘Deism’, in Alan Richardson and John Bowden (eds.), A New Dictionary of Christian Theology, Kent, SCM Press Ltd.

PAILIN, DAVID A. (1999) ‘Enlightenment’, in Alan Richardson and John Bowden (eds.), A New Dictionary of Christian Theology, Kent, SCM Press Ltd.

PAILIN, DAVID A. (1999) ‘Process Theology’, in Alan Richardson and John Bowden (eds.), A New Dictionary of Christian Theology, Kent, SCM Press Ltd.

River Taff, Wales, trekearth

21 comments:

  1. And the best one for last............
    Sign on the back of another Septic Tank Truck:
    "Caution - This Truck is full of Political Promises"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear No
    Most of the Chinese people think that a family with one child is better than those with more

    children. For one thing, many people will try their best to achieve career success and have

    little time to care about their children; for another, if they only raise one child they can

    afford better education for the child. But there are also some negative views about the

    one-child family. They think it is better to have a big family. Everyone in the family can

    help each other when they have difficulties. What is more, the more children they have, the

    better life they will live when they grow old. In my opinion, it's enough for a family to

    have one child. Nowadays population expansion is one of the most serious problems in the

    world. Population expansion contributes to a series of problems: shortage of natural

    resources and food supply,crowded cities and high rate of unemployment. Some day the earth

    will be too crowded for people to live in.

    dear do you agree with me ?

    hope to hear from you soon

    yours jiarui
    Translated by Agency ID: 1014242

    ReplyDelete
  3. At an Optometrist's Office:
    "If you don't see what you're looking for,
    you've come to the right place."

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a Plumber's truck:
    "We repair what your husband fixed."

    ReplyDelete
  5. On another Plumber's truck:
    "Don't sleep with a drip. Call your plumber."

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a Non-smoking Area:
    "If we see smoke, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action."

    ReplyDelete
  7. PSYCHOLOGY VS LAW

    A guy is looking for a place to sit in a crowded university library.

    He asked a girl: "Do you mind if I sit beside you?"

    The girl replied in a loud voice:
    "I DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE NIGHT WITH YOU!"

    All the students in the library started staring at the guy;

    He was truly embarrassed and moved to another table.
    After a couple of minutes, the girl walked quietly to the guy's table and
    Said with a laugh:

    "I study psychology, and I know what a man is thinking.
    I guess you felt embarrassed, right?"

    The guy then responded in a loud voice:

    "$500 FOR ONE NIGHT? . . . THAT'S TOO MUCH!"

    All the people in the library looked at the girl in shock.


    The guy whispered to her: "I study law, and I know how to make people pay
    For their stupidity."


    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear No
    do you have a nice weekend ?what did you do dear ?
    i don't have a nice weekend ;cause in this month i am off for four days.and in this weekend i need

    to work overtime.and these days the weather is so bad.last night it rained heavily.and when i got

    up this morning .
    the road is fulll of water ,and we can't go out at all.

    maybe the summer is a season which is filled with much water.

    i like rain cause it make plants grasses and crops grow faster and full of energy.

    what's the weather like in your place dear.did you enjoy your weekend?

    yours jiarui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    I want to recommend you about this new social
    network which changed my life.

    It’s the only social-network I know which you
    can actually earn money from it !

    I'm currently earning about $2,000 a week, just
    from copying trades of professional traders.

    The idea is very simple, you don’t need to have
    any previous experience.

    How am I earning so much money ?

    CopyOp is the world's first social-trading network.

    In CopyOp, traders can see how much other binary
    traders are earning, how they trade and to copy
    their trades automatically.

    Everything is completely transparent so you don’t
    need any experience.

    This is how you can start earning money:

    >> Follow the greatest traders and get alerts
    each time they trade <<

    Darryl




    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear No
    How could someone possibly know you like this? Some stranger,

    some author, some character. It’s like they’re seeing inside

    your soul. This book existed inside some book store, on a shelf,

    maybe handled by other people and really it was just waiting for

    you pick it up and crack the spine. It was waiting to speak to you.

    To say, “You are not alon
    e.”
    You just want more of the story. You want to keep reading, maybe

    everything this author’s ever written. You wish it would never end.

    The closer it gets to the smaller side of the pages, the slower you

    read, wanting to savor it all. This book is now one of your favorites

    forever. You will always wish you could go back to never having read

    it and pick it up fresh again, but also you know you’re better for

    having this close, inside you, covering your heart and mind.

    Once you get in deep enough, you know you could never put this book down.

    jiarui
    Translated by Agency ID: 1014242

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear No

    Recently i was thinking what the world will be like without love. that must be very scaring.

    Imagine i never heard from you never know you then my world will be totally gray. There will be no place on my heart.I

    will not know what is happiness.i will never experience what is love.Finally i realize that i can't live a life without

    love. or else i will never know what is living for. so my darling you are so important to me. just because of you i want

    to be a better woman. we will influenced by each other. then we will be the happiest couple of the world.

    Really want to receive your letter. hope you all good.

    jiarui
    Translated by Agency ID: 1014242

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just received emails that someone apparently used one of my email addresses to sign ‘me’ up on Match.com as

    Singlewoman****

    I have no interest in any reassignment surgeries....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should add that this must be such a concerned person with my life that is filled with sixty hour work weeks of corporate security, homecare for my disabled mother, academic blogging in regard to my PhD, and as of this week improving my financial situation for years greatly with legal advice and my Mother’s financial situation. This person must be incredibly focused with important life work to have the time to attempt to assist me in this reality filled with the problem of evil. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Russell,

    Your RepScore now: 44 (out of 99)
    Change over last 7 days: +0
    Change over last 30 days: +0
    Change over last 90 days: +2
    Launch your RepScore into orbit




    Web Reputation
    You have 24 webscan results.

    Tend to your reputation


    Cheers,
    Tom & Tony

    ReplyDelete

  15. The first graders were attending their first music lesson. The teacher was trying to begin at the beginning. She drew a musical staff on the blackboard and asked a little girl to come up and write a note on it.

    The little girl went to the blackboard, looked thoughtful for a minute and wrote, "Dear Aunt Emma, just a short note to tell you I'm fine."

    …..Doc’s Daily Chuckle (pkaine@roadrunner.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (ChristianVoices@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending;
    and to have the two as close together as possible.
    - George Burns

    ReplyDelete
  17. Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.
    - Victor Borge

    ReplyDelete
  18. By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one,
    you'll become a philosopher.
    - Socrates

    ReplyDelete
  19. Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    - Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete