Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Arguments and Logical Fallacies

Arguments and Logical Fallacies

Preface

Updated for a posting on academia.edu, 20240309. This was the first review of the Pirie text.

Photo was of recent books purchased. The Kant book was a PhD reference.
---

Philosopher Madsen Pirie explains that 'sound reasoning is the basis of winning at argument. Logical fallacies undermine arguments'. Pirie (2006)(2015: xii). He writes that any trick of logic or language which allows a statement or claim to be passed off as something it is not, actually, has the 'admission' card to the enclosure known as fallacies. (xii).

In describing 1. What is an argument

It is stated that an argument begins with a disagreement. (1). A first person puts forward a point or view or opinion and this is contrasted by a point, view or opinion differing.These views are not compatible, in other words the two views cannot simultaneously be held to.

An argument supports one side and position and undermines the other side and position. (1).

This is a loose term for an argument, states the author, when people assert opposing positions; the term argument is more correctly applied with supporting material. (2).

Point, view and opinion could also be called a premise (s) leading to a conclusion, notably from my MPhil and PhD questionnaire work. 

(A proposition/statement would be a singular point/claim. Not technically an argument)

The Elements texts states that an argument is a set of claims, one of which is supported by the others.

A claim or a set of claims support a claim. Elements (1997: 5).

The conclusion is supported by the premise (s). My add.

A conclusion is a claim meant to be supported by the claims or reasons provided in the argument.
A premise is a claim put forward to support a conclusion. (5).

Elements states 

Argument=conclusion+premises, (5)

Or again from my United Kingdom theses work, it could be stated

Argument=premise (s)+conclusion

One infers or makes an inference each time a conclusion is drawn from a premise or premises. (6).

An argument can fail if it has a false premise (s) or has premise (s) that is irrelevant or provide inadequate support for a conclusion. (7). But the authors point out that a bad argument is still an argument. (7).

In other words a bad argument is not sound or true.

Further from Pirie: A valid argument can have a false premise. (69). As long as the premise (s) are not true and the conclusion false, it is logically possible to have a valid argument. Premise-Conclusion TT, FF, FT, TF combinations. A true premise (s) and false conclusion (TF) from these combinations, cannot possibly be logically valid. The other combinations are logically valid. However, as Pire recognizes, a sound (true) argument has all true premises. (69). I am not placing a limit on the number of premises within every type of argument. The conclusion would also be true.

CONWAY DAVID A. AND RONALD MUNSON (1997) The Elements of Reasoning, Wadsworth Publishing Company, New York.

LANGER, SUSANNE K (1953)(1967) An Introduction to Symbolic Logic, Dover Publications, New York. (Philosophy).

PIRIE, MADSEN (2006)(2015) How To Win Every Argument, Bloomsbury, London.

PLANTINGA, ALVIN C. (1977)(2002) God, Freedom, and Evil, Grand Rapids, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. 

PLANTINGA, ALVIN C. (1982) The Nature of Necessity, Oxford, Clarendon Press.

PLANTINGA, ALVIN C. (2000) Warranted Christian Belief, Oxford, Oxford University Press. 

VR Zone/Facebook

20 comments:

  1. The Joy of the Lord

    What do you think “the joy of the Lord” means? As in Nehemiah 8, “the joy of the Lord is your strength?” My grammar is rusty, but isn’t that “subjective or objective genitive?” Is it the joy the Lord himself has, or the joy we have in him or because of him? That sounds nitpicking but when you know how weak you are, and I do, then knowing where your strength is, now that’s important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the story. They are back from exile, back with the Lord in his country where they belong. The city wall is up again and they are a lot safer than they were. Now it’s time to go to the temple to hear again God’s law and when they do, they all cry, they sob. Now to me that feels right, we ignored all the Lord ever said to us and did for us, no wonder we had that hard exile, how dumb could we get, sob and sob away. That was when they got the word, stop that crying, this is a celebration, eat up! Since “the joy of the Lord, now that’s your strength!”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean, see how glad the Lord himself is to have you back, in his country in his house? Or is it, you yourself need to get more joy in your heart? Maybe both? For Jonathan Edwards that was a basic question: why are we always trying to get from God instead of giving to him, in praise and worship? I think in a similar way about the Reformation passion for “extraspective” faith, a trust in Jesus Christ that never looks back at your trust to see how deep or sincere it is. That looking back at yourself can so easily make faith into just another work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s what Edwards’ followers did, leading them finally to Unitarianism, with its minimal interest in Jesus’ identity as God, eclipsed by our own morality. As we try to keep all that in mind, what after all do you think is that joy the Lord promises us? We know by now where a prosperity gospel goes, enough to make us leery of even a “spiritual prosperity.” O Lord, protect us, keep us from trying to use you just to get what we really want, without caring for you and your glory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lord’s Prayer is the Lord’s own model for us, I’m so glad of that. Our Father who art in heaven—I call you by name, I know who you are, in heaven ruling the universe and our loving Father too. Hallowed be thy name—please see to it Lord that right now you get the honor you are so worthy of, from all those angels, from all those believers already with you, from believers all over the world, who look to Byzantium or Rome or Geneva, from all my needy friends and from me too. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven--O Lord, please work in our hearts so we honor you with our entire lives, not just in the way we talk about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only after that do we move to daily bread and forgiveness. I hope this isn’t too mechanical but could we do some similar timing in our own prayers? How many minutes of hallowing, how many about bread? Could that show us where we are, takers or givers with our Lord? Jonathan, I know you’re so much further along--but it seems so much to me that as I seek to honor my Lord with my heart, he gives me so much joy—that the more I give him the more I enjoy him and that he is at my side. Isn’t the joy of the Lord both/and? Or BOTH/and?



    D. Clair Davis


    ReplyDelete
  7. Note: the 'Win Argument' series is an attempt for me now working full-time and not a full time student, to write posts on that blog based on new texts purchased. Not that I have exhausted by own academic library, not at all, but my PhD and MPhil theses have almost been entirely presented online as I promised to those that assisted with questionnaires/surveys. The Satire blog will remain largely theology and philosophy posts based on the news, personal life what have you. Both blogs allow me to present a more balanced picture of my views from the more academic to more practical. As far as academic journals are concerned the one journal I applied for had a 90% rejection rate and informed me that my work was too theological. At anywhere near 90% rejection I cannot depend on journal articles to maintain my writing and to promote me. As well, I am strong on the idea that I worked for free in academia for 19 years and it is now time to be paid for doing peer reviewed academic work. I cannot endlessly go on writing and researching for free in order for others to grade me in the hope of employment. I have had enough. Therefore, if I can receive PhD related work a journal article is more likely to occur. I am working 60 hours a week now presently with corp, security, homecaring, blgging and employment seeking and that is my limits. Thankfully, my sleep apnea is far less due to two major surgeries and metabolism boosting which has seen me drastically and permanently slim down from the kingpin days, as coined by my friend Booby Buff...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankfully, my sleep apnea is far less due to two major surgeries (UPPP of throat area and a rhinoplasty) and metabolism boosting which has seen me drastically and permanently slim down from the kingpin days, as coined by my friend Booby Buff...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be interesting to read through content from other writers and practice something from other websites.


    Feel free to surf to my web page google

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my new friend! How are you? May I propose you my acquaintance?
    I got your e-mail in my junk box today and I decided to reply.
    Maybe you are lonely as well as me and want to change it soon.
    Few words about me: my name Svetlana, I live in Canada, in Toronto.
    I am a nice lady with good education and a background.
    I am 30 years old and my life seem to be right, I only miss my right man
    to share it together!
    i am waiting for simple woman`s happiness:
    cosy home, good man, happy family. I want to
    meet serious man with family values,
    strong spirit and kind heart. I am tired of fake people, so if you look for entertainment
    or casual relations you do not need to reply back. But if you are ready to create a
    nice strong family based on mutural love and respect-welcome to write me back!
    Baybe this message will change things for both of us. Let`s see!
    I am waiting for your reply! Have a great day!
    Svetlana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello my new friend! How are you? May I propose you my acquaintance?
    I got your e-mail in my junk box today and I decided to reply.
    Maybe you are lonely as well as me and want to change it soon.
    Few words about me: my name Svetlana, I live in Canada, in Toronto.
    I am a nice lady with good education and a background.
    I am 30 years old and my life seem to be right, I only miss my right man
    to share it together!
    i am waiting for simple woman`s happiness:
    cosy home, good man, happy family. I want to
    meet serious man with family values,
    strong spirit and kind heart. I am tired of fake people, so if you look for entertainment
    or casual relations you do not need to reply back. But if you are ready to create a
    nice strong family based on mutural love and respect-welcome to write me back!
    Baybe this message will change things for both of us. Let`s see!
    I am waiting for your reply! Have a great day!
    Svetlana.


    ReplyDelete
  12. More clues I am pretty clueless on how many page views I actually receive and from whom.

    On my Facebook blog page, I recently have many KS views, as in State, US State, and not one page view from KS has been tagged on Stat Counter, Site Meter or Hi Stats.

    Hard to believe someone would look on my Facebook blog page and then click on none of the Blogger links.

    Again my Norwegian friend states she was on my Satire blog, but once again no Norway views.

    It makes it easy for stalkers...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Facebook Blog page is not that good either, missing the locale of a recent 'Like'.

    ReplyDelete

  14. Dapoxetine Dosage[/url] Doxycycline For Bacterial Vaginal Infections http://lasix-onlinefurosemide.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. “I like my town but I can’t say exactly what I like about it. I don’t think it’s the smell. I’m too accustomed to the monuments to want to look at them. I like certain lights, a few bridges, cafe terraces. I love passing through a place I haven’t seen for time.”

    -George Perec, Species of Spaces and Other Pieces, “The Town”

    ReplyDelete
  16. “There is a perfect rout of characters in every man-and every man is like an actor’s trunk, full of strange creatures, new & old. But an actor and his trunk are two different things.”

    -Wallace Stevens, Wallace Stevens: A Mythology of Self

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both those quotes make me think of Bobby Buff for some reason...

    ReplyDelete
  18. During our church's worship service, the pastor invites all the young children to join him near the altar for the "Children's Moments Sermon."

    One day, with seven small children in attendance, he spoke about the ingredients required to make up a church, using a chocolate-chip cookie as an example.

    He explained to the children that, as with a cookie requiring ingredients such as sugar and eggs, the church needed ingredients to make up the congregation.

    Holding a cookie aloft, he asked, "If I took the chocolate chips out of this cookie, what would I have?"

    A shy six-year-old raised his hand. "Six less grams of fat," he replied.

    …..Doc’s Daily Chuckle (docsdailychuckle@associate.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (ChristianVoices@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  19. “Failure after long perseverance is much grander than never to have a striving good enough to be called a failure.”

    -George Eliot, Middlemarch

    ReplyDelete