Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A priori & A posteriori

Scotland-Facebook-Travel+Leisure

























Interesting discussion after main business hours at work where I emphasized that not all knowledge was empirical knowledge.

Here is edited Blogging and PhD material that is hopefully relevant.

Louis P. Pojman explains that the term a priori comes from the Latin “preceding” and is knowledge that is not based on sense experience but is innate or known to human beings by the meanings of words and definitions. Pojman (1996: 595).

Arthur Pap defines a priori knowledge as being independent of experience. Pap (1973: 666). 

Simon Blackburn notes that a proposition is knowable a priori if it can be known without experience of a certain set of events in the actual world. Blackburn allows for some experience to be obtained in order for a priori knowledge to occur. Blackburn (1996: 21).

He explains that this type of knowledge is very controversial and it is not clear how pure thought without the use of experience can lead to any true knowledge at all. Blackburn (1996: 21). Some empiricists have attempted to deny that any real knowledge can be obtained from a priori means. Blackburn (1996: 21).

In the Critique of Pure Reason of 1781 and revised in 1787, Kant explains that the forms of appearance from which sensations can be understood are not themselves the empirical sensations. Kant (1781)(1787)(1929)(2006: 66).

BonJour states that a priori knowledge is independent of empirical experience, meaning that something can be accepted as knowledge if it does not depend upon sensory experience. BonJour (1996: 29).

Very importantly in my view, BonJour explains that a deductively valid argument can use a priori reasoning, even if the correctness of the argument is challenged. BonJour (1996: 30). This would be very important for non-empirical reasoning in the areas of theology and philosophy in regard to the problem of evil and other topics, but even in other disciplines such as scientific theory where logical and reasonable deductions are at times made without empirical evidence. In other words, it is possible to deduce with logic, reason, and argumentation, truth, even without empirical evidence.

BonJour mentions that rationalists that state God exists are using a priori reasoning. I do not deny that human beings have presuppositions in the areas of knowledge, but I reason that experience and God given nature influences those concepts. It seems doubtful to me that human beings can have philosophical presuppositions without some innate understanding and experience to make sense of reality in order to presuppose.

It is also Biblical and reasonable to deduce that God creates human beings with certain innate understanding of reality that will be assisted by experience. Romans 1:19 explains that God made human beings with a natural understanding of his existence. Perhaps this would be a priori knowledge and would not exist entirely on human presuppositions. The existence of natural knowledge of God does not necessarily mean that human beings worship or obey God.

Edinburgh 1995
Pojman writes that a posteriori comes the Latin “the later” and is knowledge that is obtained from human sense experience only, as in the five senses. Pojman (1996: 595).

Blackburn reasons that something can be known a posteriori when it cannot be known a priori. Blackburn (1996: 21-22).

From a Christian perspective, God through Scriptural religious history and Jesus Christ has revealed himself to finite humanity in an effective, limited, empirical fashion, and this would be considered a posteriori knowledge of God, although God as pure spirit remains beyond the physical senses.

Kant criticized and limited the scope of traditional metaphysical thought, he also sought to defend against empiricism’s claim of the possibility of universal and necessary knowledge which he called a priori knowledge, because no knowledge derived from experience, a posteriori knowledge, could justify a claim to universal and necessary validity.

Guyer and Wood explain that Kant sought to defend the scientific approach to the acquisition of knowledge against skeptics that dismissed rigorous arguments in favor of ‘common sense.’ Guyer and Wood in Kant (1781)(1787)(1998: 2)

Kant concludes The Critique of Practical Reason by noting that the phenomena realm is the external realm where consciousness has existence.

The noumena realm is invisible and has true infinity where Kant believes one can reason that contingent personality is dependent on the universal and necessary connection to the invisible world. Kant (1788)(1898)(2006: 100).

Importantly Kant thought it legitimate for one to postulate the noumena realm in a ‘negative sense’ meaning things as they may be independently or how they are represented, but not noumena in the ‘positive sense’ which would be things based on pure reason alone. Instead, noumena categories were only useful by applying them to empirical data structured in forms of intuition.

The concept of noumena, according to Kant, was bound to the limit of pretension of sensibility and reason, and therefore only negative noumenon was of intellectual use. Noumena in its negative sense are that which is not an object of sense intuition. Kant rejects concepts of positive noumena based on pure reason. Kant (1781)(1787)(1998: 350).

Counter

Conclusion

Christian scholarship does not rely primarily on natural theology, which would be considered by certain scholars to simply use pure reason which some also think Kant had demolished. Revelation from God in Scripture and resulting claims made within could perhaps be tied to Kantian concepts and intuition arising from empirical sensations.

This is not a difficulty for a Reformed and some other approaches to Christianity, which do not rely primarily on philosophical deductions, but in supernatural revelation of God through empirical sensations, such as prophets, Christ, the apostles and scribes.

My conclusion here, which I realize some will debate, is that Scripture is not primarily metaphysical speculation about God as discussed, but is rather coming through the authors and players within his Bible, which are reasoned to be divinely guided by God. In other words: Natural theology, or another term, perhaps natural philosophy, at points can be reasonable philosophically as secondary support for theism and Christianity.

Natural theology does not reveal the God of the Bible specifically. Revelation and Scripture as historical religious history reveals the God of the Bible. Therefore, Christianity is not primarily based on metaphysical speculation or pure reason. 

BONJOUR, LAURENCE. (1996) ‘A Priori’, in Robert Audi (ed.), The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.

BLACKBURN, SIMON (1996) ‘A priori/A posteriori’, in Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy, p. 21-22. Oxford, Oxford University Press.

EDWARDS, PAUL AND ARTHUR PAP (1973) (eds), ‘A priori knowledge: Introduction’, A Modern Introduction To Philosophy, New York, The Free Press.

GUYER, PAUL AND ALLEN W, in KANT, IMMANUEL (1781)(1787)(1998) Critique of Pure Reason, Translated and edited by Paul Guyer and Allen W. Wood, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

KANT, IMMANUEL (1781)(1787)(1998) Critique of Pure Reason, Translated and edited by Paul Guyer and Allen W. Wood, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. 

KANT, IMMANUEL (1781)(1787)(1929)(2006) Critique of Pure Reason, Translated by Norman Kemp Smith, London, Macmillan. KANT, IMMANUEL (1788)(1997) Critique of Practical Reason, Translated by Mary Gregor (ed.), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

KANT, IMMANUEL (1788)(1898)(2006) The Critique of Practical Reason, Translated by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott, London, Longmans, Green, and Co.

KANT, IMMANUEL (1791)(2001) ‘On The Miscarriage of All Philosophical Trials in Theodicy’, in Religion and Rational Theology, Translated by George di Giovanni and Allen Wood, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.

POJMAN, LOUIS P. (1996) Philosophy: The Quest for Truth, New York, Wadsworth Publishing Company.

20 comments:

  1. My name is Alexa Waldman Thanks for sharing excellent noumena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever wonder how confusing the English language can be. Here are some commonly used OXYMORONS: ((contradictory words)

    Alone together
    Artificial intelligence
    Clearly misunderstood
    Exact estimate
    Found missing
    Large minority
    Legally drunk
    Plastic silverware
    Pretty ugly
    Random order
    Small crowd
    Soft rock
    Temporary tax increase
    Terribly pleased
    Twelve-ounce pound cake
    Working vacation

    …..Mikey’s Funnies (http://www.mikeysFunnies.com) by way of “Christian Voices” (ChristianVoices@att.net)


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    How does $100,000 a month sound to you?

    Made each month, every month.

    Well that's exactly what you will earn if you join the
    $100K Club.

    It's totally free, just click below to get going...

    ==>> Click here to get your cash now:

    Zero experience or expertise required. This is INSANE!

    What are you waiting for?

    Thank me later,
    Bouzid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do It All Backwards

    Our hearts pour out praise to our God, who has given us his Holy Spirit to empower us all to take throughout the world the good news that Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead, so that God’s people will be brought back to our loving Father. That is such an stupendous heart-filling reality that there’s no wonder that we want to simplify it, even over-simplify it. In high school I learned that my sins deserved God's punishment and my rejection forever, but that Jesus had taken my sin and guilt upon himself. That was such great news that it seemed to be all I would ever need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But then I went on to learn about the Holy Spirit’s work in my heart, so I might do the Lord’s will in spite of all of Satan’s attacks. My salvation was not just deliverance from God's judgment, justification, but it was also ongoing victory over evil, sanctification. Before I understood that, it seemed that my salvation was over and done with, once for all—but then I learned that it just kept on happening. My life verse came to be Hebrews 4: 14-16, Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then my salvation came together even more as I learned about my own “union with Christ,” that not only had the Lord given me all the spiritual gifts I would ever need, but he had given me Jesus Christ himself to be at my side forever, and the Holy Spirit too, to remind me and make even clearer to me that Jesus loved me and was always there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I’m wondering whether my pattern, from justification to sanctification to union, is God's pattern for everyone? We know it’s been our Western church history sequence, from the Reformation on, but does it really have to be the sequence for everyone? (Luther to Calvin to John Murray, but maybe Calvin was at union all along?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m wondering about that especially since today justification seems very hard for people to understand: am I really that guilty, does the goodness of Jesus get transferred to my account like some bookkeeping trick, isn’t that all so far from where I am today that it makes no sense?

    ReplyDelete
  9. By now I do all that personally in reverse. My heart beats to this: Jesus is with me; he equips me to handle the hard things of life; when I do that badly he is there to give me his own righteousness so that I can start over again without guilt and with great joy. That’s right for me, and I believe godly and biblical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our history is full of situations where Christians were sure that people weren’t yet ready for Jesus, since they had to be first in a receptive place, “prepared for grace.” If you didn’t have a clear knowledge of God's law, your own totally guilty life and that you deserved a future in hell forever, you wouldn’t have a clue about what to do next, like trust Jesus as your justification. It took half a revival week to make that all clear, with anguish and fear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That seemed to work, but here’s another way, II Corinthians 1: 8-11, For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many. (Well unpacked by Mike Emlet in his Crosstalk).

    ReplyDelete
  12. It doesn’t have to be your fear of hell that pushes you to Jesus; it can be being so “burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself.” That doesn’t take the heavy explanation that “imputation of Adam’s sin” takes, you can recognize it easily. Deep despair over your life makes the Christ’s resurrection over death especially meaningful! This can be personal, but we do share each other’s pain, we pray and give thanks together. I know Paul is thinking within the setting of other believers—but could this despair and thankfulness also be something to share with not-yet-believers? I hope so. I know for sure that communicating guilt is a lot harder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you see where I’m going? Can I share my “reverse sequence” of going from my joy over Jesus who cares for me in suffering (out of my union with him) on to looking to him to be at my side as I battle world, flesh and Devil (sanctification), and from there on to my repentance for running from the fight to seek phony comfort, and then having his kind forgiveness for my cowardice (justification)? Can I talk about that first with believer friends, and then go on to talk that over the same way with the not-yets? Is the suffering-bridge easier and more natural than the imputation-bridge? If I go that way, do I have the Lord’s blessing, or am I running away from his gospel?

    ReplyDelete
  14. (One of the hardest pieces of my life was the long Norman Shepherd controversy, when he told us that we need to think of “obedient faith” as our relationship to Jesus Christ. Much seemed helpful, of course we trust in Jesus as our Savior and our Lord, all at the same time. When we trust him and commit to following him, isn’t that obedient faith? I think now that my newer “sequence” makes it clearer, I hope so. What if it goes this way: I have trusted Jesus for today’s hard battle with Satan, but I ran from the battle when it got too hard. Now I come to him asking his forgiveness, again. Do I say, “I’ll try harder next time, it’ll never happen again? I’ve really learned my lesson, it’s safe to forgive me.” Is that why the Lord should forgive me, do you think?

    You know where I’ll go, to the amazing and encouraging Hosea 11: 5-9, They shall not return to the land of Egypt,

    but Assyria shall be their king,

    because they have refused to return to me.

    The sword shall rage against their cities,

    consume the bars of their gates,

    and devour them because of their own counsels.

    My people are bent on turning away from me,

    and though they call out to the Most High,

    he shall not raise them up at all.

    How can I give you up, O Ephraim?

    How can I hand you over, O Israel?

    How can I make you like Admah?

    How can I treat you like Zeboiim?

    My heart recoils within me;

    my compassion grows warm and tender.

    I will not execute my burning anger;

    I will not again destroy Ephraim;

    for I am God and not a man,

    the Holy One in your midst,

    and I will not come in wrath.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How can we say that to our God when we have betrayed him again? Dare we say, “O Lord, do not give me up? I know you are God the Holy One and you will not come in wrath”? With all the humility that is within me, I believe that is what we say).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that is the way to talk about justification. God forgives us only for the sake of Jesus Christ, not at all because we seem to be more promising in the future. He loves us for the sake of Christ, and because he loves us. Not only does that seem to me to be something I can honestly believe out of my long experience of his goodness to me, but builds upon what he has given me before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m usually not happy with how our Westminster Confession teaches us about our assurance of salvation, that it ends by saying we will be kept “from utter despair.” I find that hard to combine with the life of joy and worship to which the Lord calls us—but maybe after all, how else would you talk about your sin and your repentance and your forgiveness? Not at the beginning of your walk with the Lord perhaps, but much later, after you know your indifference to him and his continuing love, all because of who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think now this is where Jack Miller was as he taught us to “read Paul through the lens of Luke”: now look at all those grand truths of your salvation by the way Jesus touched and loved and cared for all those sinners and all those hopeless people, one after another. I think also this is what we learn from G. C. Berkouwer about “the knowledge of sin through the gospel”: why did our salvation require so terribly much from Jesus? Because our sin is so deep and deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. “His love endures forever,” doesn’t it? Not in a sloppy liberal way that pushes away sin and indifference and the wrath of God and hell and imputation and justification out of the way—but in God's way of putting all that together in our hearts and lives.

    I hope especially, in a way that we will be able to tell to each other, and then to our lost and dying friends.

    D. Clair Davis

    ReplyDelete