Monday, September 10, 2012

Short Theological/Philosophical Post On Matthew 5: 27-30


Sydney (Google Images)


Vancouver (trekearth)

Preface

Based on personal discussions and issues with friends lately and over the years.

R.T. France provides the opinion that the 'Sermon on the Mount' for which this section is a part, is a series on discipleship. France (1985: 105). Much of it original to Matthew but approximately half of it parallelled in Luke but not always identical in form. France (1985: 105). H.L. Ellison states there is no reason to believe that all the teachings were done at once and that Jesus did not repeat them and sometimes with variation. Ellison (1986: 1124).

Matthew 5: 27-30 English Standard Version

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

France reasons the seventh commandment does not exist to prohibit a natural sexual attraction (p.121) but rather the desire for 'an illicit relationship'. France (1985: 121).

ἐπιθυμῆσαι (to desire) from verse 28. From Marshall.

28 ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι πᾶς ὁ βλέπων γυναῖκα πρὸς τὸ ἐπιθυμῆσαι αὐτὴν ἤδη ἐμοίχευσεν
But I tell you that everyone seeing a woman with a view to desire (her) already committed adultery with
αὐτὴν ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ αὐτοῦ.
her in the heart of him.

France explains Jesus equates such a lustful attitude with 'implicit theft' (p. 121). If Jesus was more so concentrating on the greater sin of adultery as opposed to the lessor sin of fornication (where no married person is concerned) he was still in no way condoning the lessor sin. Ellison (1986: 1124: 1125).

Jesus Christ was using metaphorical, figurative language concerning the eye and the hand in this context. France (1985: 121: 122). One eye and one hand should be metaphorically, figuratively eliminated from the human body if this led to the end of lust. France (1985: 121: 122). This 'self-mutilation is not to be taken literally' (p. 122). The key here is an avoidance of temptation that will involve sacrifice, a changing philosophy, thought pattern and habits.

Theologically and philosophically these concepts can be further connected to 1 Corinthians 7 where it is stated by the Apostle Paul in verse 2:

1 Corinthians 7: 2 English Standard Version

2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

In Matthew 5 there are theologically and also philosophically concepts that can be related and avoidance of sinful practices that rightly need to be exercised from a Christian's life. However it can be reasoned from the Epistle that it would be Biblical to attempt via the Holy Spirit to find someone in Christ of spiritual, intellectual and physical compatibility, in modern terms of course. This must be done wisely with more of an appeal to spiritual concerns and overall compatibility as opposed to assuming social rules for example, although important in society, the family, and the Church, that may simply and likely solve the issue. This more comprehensive approach too would also serve as a counter to what is being discussed as sin in Matthew 5.

Therefore, there would be both negative and positive active components related to avoiding the sin discussed in Matthew 5 and Jesus' teachings.

ELLISON, H.L. (1986) ‘Matthew’, in F.F. Bruce (ed.), The International Bible Commentary, Grand Rapids, Zondervan.

FRANCE, R.T. (1985) Matthew, Grand Rapids, IVP, Eerdmans.

MARSHALL, ALFRED (1975)(1996) The Interlinear KJV-NIV, Grand Rapids, Zondervan.

30 comments:

  1. Jesus teaches that our actions are very important - indeed our thoughts are also important to him, and definitely - as mentioned in this post - sacrifice is involved - that we must be willing undergo the inconvenience and changes required to carry out this teaching, becoming "maimed" in this world, yet entering heaven and eternal life with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the sacrifice aspect, Matthew indeed. Thank you my friend.

    And then there is the positive aspect/way of countering this sin as can be looked at from 1 Corinthians and also from Genesis 2: 18 with the idea of a man (person) not being alone and in a good state.

    I am more of a soft-determinist than you, but even I fully realize that there needs to be some movement in prayer and action by the Christian in faith on key issues, including this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I want a plane to my, to take photos. Your photos are great, I'm a fan of your photos!
    Have a good days! Dr. Russell :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    This is a very beautiful blog and very nice blog post.. we want come back on this blog.... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Russ,


    However it can be reasoned from the Epistle that it would be Biblical to attempt via the Holy Spirit to find someone in Christ of spiritual, intellectual and physical compatibility, in modern terms of course. This must be done wisely with more of an appeal to spiritual concerns and overall compatibility as opposed to assuming social rules for example, although important in society, the family, and the Church, that may simply and likely solve the issue. This more comprehensive approach too would also serve as a counter to what is being discussed as sin in Matthew 5.

    Spiritual compatibility first and foremost, yes, agreed.. It's reasonable to consider that when making this top priority the compatibility in the other areas may eventually follow. I believe many good marriages can testify to that.

    Tammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Spiritual compatibility first and foremost, yes, agreed.. It's reasonable to consider that when making this top priority the compatibility in the other areas may eventually follow. I believe many good marriages can testify to that.'

    Thank you, Tammy. Good point. Reasonable.

    To ignore overall attraction is unwise, but it appears to look outside of Christ on a serious spiritual level for believers in this context, even more unwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this blog entry. I'm still praying for that woman that God has designed for me. I would say that occasionally I have lust in my heart, but when I realize it, I do ask God for his forgiveness, and I look away and try to focus on other things to get it out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this blog entry. I'm still praying for that woman that God has designed for me. I would say that occasionally I have lust in my heart, but when I realize it, I do ask God for his forgiveness, and I look away and try to focus on other things to get it out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds reasonable my friend. I try and remember you in prayer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! In the end I got a website from where I be able to really get useful
    data regarding my study and knowledge.
    My weblog - mcallen tx homes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well since December 2011 I have had a 'mysterious' and appreciated increase in Texas pageviews on both of my blogs...

    But you have nothing to do with those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to follow up and let you know how , a great deal I loved discovering your web blog today. I would consider it an honor to do things at my office and be able to make use of the tips shared on your web site and also take part in visitors' remarks like this. Should a position connected with guest writer become offered at your end, make sure you let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello :) I want a plane to travel around the world and take photos of beautiful places jajajaj i am not good taking photos but i love it. Your photos are amazing :)
    Have a good day Dr. Russell :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Valentina.

    Trekearth and Google Images have some amazing photos, yes. The ones I take with my mobile phones can be decent. The ones from your blog are first-rate.

    Your idea sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. І truly apрrecіate this post. I’ve beеn loοκіng all over foг
    this! Thank comparing car insurance online goodness I
    found іt оn Bing. Υou have made my
    day! Thank you аgain!
    my website :: compare auto insurance prices

    ReplyDelete
  16. I conceive this web internet site contains some rattling amazing information for everyone !:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow those jets are pretty close to populated areas, they fly pretty low!
    -Plane Sight-

    ReplyDelete
  18. So what your indicating from your article is that adultery is a worse sin than fornication???
    -Sensible Sid-

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just commenting on your response to Matt Smed, you called yourself a soft determinist as opposed to a hard one, what's the difference?
    -Absent Minded-

    ReplyDelete
  20. No Winnipeg Jets because of lockout. Hope some teams bust.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wise thoughts from Matt Smed when he comments on your article about our actions and thoughts being important to Jesus....Thank you.
    -Wise Guy-

    ReplyDelete
  22. In general the results of adultery will be worse than fornication.

    ReplyDelete
  23. NHL ......It's very concerning to me when our society pays people who play games unreal amounts of money when in reality their contribution to our civilization is minimal.
    -Short Sports-

    ReplyDelete
  24. Compatibilism and soft determinism does hold that what God determines must happen by necessity, but reasons that rational beings with a significant use of free will, I call it limited free will, are not coerced or forced to commit acts, which must occur by necessity. A person can hold to hard determinism and believe that God determined all events without the significant use of free will of rational creatures.

    ReplyDelete