Sunday, May 06, 2007

A philosophy of linking


York Minster

1. I have 166 completed questionnaires in my possession. Thanks to all respondents! My goal is obtain 200 plus surveys, although my advisor has given me permission to begin analyzing the questionnaire data. I am still collecting questionnaires and will be for several weeks and so I would really appreciate any assistance with this project. I am not sure what the analysis will include in its entirety, as I will have to receive this information from my advisor at a later date. My sample group is those that attend Christian churches, and for the context of this research, Christian is not only those that have Biblically based, conservative views like I do, but those that fall within a broad definition of cultural Christianity. My advisor has not exhaustively defined this, but I know I must include not only persons within my Reformed, conservative perspective, but also those from mainline churches. I have also sampled persons within the Orthodox Church and non-denominational churches. Alan Bryman in his text Social Research Methods explains that a sample is a segment of the population that is selected for research. It is a subset of the population. Bryman (2004: 543). My subset for this PhD research is those that attend Christian churches. I am willing to send out a copy of the survey to persons that do not attend a Christian church whatsoever, but I cannot include the data in the analysis.

2. Having not received any blogger traffic from publishing and correcting/republishing articles on both my blogs this week, I have thought much about the importance of links. My traffic is now entirely coming from links and web searches. I really appreciate all of you that link with one or both of my theology related blogs. I realize that some persons only like one of the blogs enough to link and that is understandable. As far as blogs are concerned, I may link a blog on thekingpin68 or satire and theology that links my blog in return, or at least links something important relating to my blog. I believe in mutual support.

3. I initially thought I would only link with Christian blogs where there was strong theological agreement, but have come to the conclusion that I can witness to others through linking, and need to support if possible, those who support me. I therefore may link to certain others even though there are some philosophical/theological disagreements. I realize that none of us will agree on every point! I have placed disclaimers on both my blogs in the About Me section. The disclaimer for this site reads, In regard to my links, only satire and theology necessarily demonstrates my personal views. I should make it clear that if I link with you, I greatly appreciate your help and basically think your blog is good.

The power of positive linking?

BRYMAN, ALAN (2004) Social Research Methods, Oxford, University Press.


Bad theology

13 comments:

  1. York Minster is known as the largest Gothic cathedral in northern Europe and is in the city of York in England. I have been to York twice and it is one of the nice places in England to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the power of positive linking" - I like that!

    About a month ago I discovered thekingpin68 through the NEXT BLOG feature. I thought I should offer those who visited my fledgling blog opportunities to go to a worthwhile blog so I created a "better blog" list to which I added thekingpin68.

    Thekingpin68 reciprocated and I started getting hits from all over the globe! Thank you,Russ!

    I have also found that posting comments on other blogs can generate quite a few visits back to one's own blog. After exchanging comments about the OneDayBlogSilence on someone else's blog, I found that my blog had been referenced in the blog of "The Anarchist Rabbi." But that's not near as good as Satire and Theology being included in a list of atheist blogs!

    When I started to see the variety of traffic a blog can have I also considered the opportunities for exposing visitors to a different point of view, planting seeds, etc. Regardless of what brought them there (search, link, curious about who made a comment, interesting blog name), I hope they will be interested enough to look at a post with deeper substance.

    Peace,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, I think you are a first rate guy and I wish you and your blog great success. God, of course will ultimately measure our success beyond comments and traffic, but it is good to see the numbers.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a person trusting in a poor source and false doctrines suggesting that it is a good time to preach against false doctrines.

    Thanks, Professor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that cartoon. It is sad that it has some truth in it.

    Timotheus
    http://www.skubalon.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have a monumental task before you, survey-wise. Good luck.

    That's a good philosophy of linking. I don't expect everyone who I link to link me, or vice versa, but sometimes it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Ruthie. My questionnaires are coming along as I have 176 completed. I suppose I have decided that I want my links to represent a type of mutual support and networking rather than primarily an interest in particular blogs and websites, but I realize there are many different philosophies of linking. I have not linked every blog/website that has linked me, but I will link ones that appear to support my work and are not overly objectionable, or potentially overly objectionable. This is not clear-cut to reason out for me, but requires prolonged thought and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure like the look of your blog.
    The internet is certainly a great
    to have a great witness to many.

    If you're interested, I've posted
    some blog links (including yours -
    hope that's alright) of others who
    are doing the same...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great when people
    use the internet in an evangelistic
    way like you're doing.

    That's what I'm trying to do
    also with my blog. I try not
    to look religious and my
    hook is humor and yet
    controversial issues are
    also discussed. As long
    as it's evangelical with
    a Biblical Worldview
    and interesting, I try
    to include it.

    Please pray for us -
    we're often under
    attack and have
    been for our entire
    10 year existence.

    Thanks again for
    what you're doing...

    Your Internet Friend,
    Professor Howdy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Professor Howdy/edot, please pray in regard to my PhD and blog work. If you would like to help me out, completing a questionnaire would be good.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete