Friday, September 11, 2015

Robert McAfee Brown & The Developing World (PhD Edit)

South Africa: Facebook/Travel & Leisure

























Robert McAfee Brown (1984) comments that in the Bible, in places such as Exodus, God takes a position against those who promote oppression and injustice.[1]  God at times does take sides in human struggles,[2] and God does side with the oppressed.[3]  Christians are sometimes in the delicate and tricky position of staying true to Biblical standards and yet standing with those who are oppressed and within the world system,[4] even if they are not believers and live outside of Christian morality.[5]  Those in power who call themselves Christians need to be respectfully challenged if they are perceived with a significant deal of evidence, to be involved in abusive practice.[6]  Western Christians need to examine the side they are on in many of the world’s social struggles, particularly in regard to the third world.[7]

In my mind there is a danger that Christianity, whether conservative or liberal, becomes overly influenced by cultures where it exists.  Christian thought must stay true to Biblical and theological principles at the expense of being led astray by societal movements that later in history may be deemed to have been corrupt.  Any historical corruption of the Christian Church is, in the end, a poor witness of Christ and the gospel and weakens the credibility of Christian ministry in the minds of many critics.[8]

Back to what Brown stated, as certain Christians may be on the wrong side of history on certain social issues.[9] 

Brown believes the Bible teaches that there is hope for those in the world who are poor and oppressed.[10]  He explains that if God sided with these suffering persons in Biblical times, he also does today.[11]  I can grant this proposition,[12] and state that although the salvific work of Christ for humanity should remain the core of Christian faith and philosophy, simultaneous to this Christians must help in an earthly physical sense, those they are attempting to assist in a spiritual sense.  This is an important and essential way of making theology practical. 

In a somewhat similar way Brown raises issues about the suffering of the poor. He desires liberation for those within third world today (the developing world) from suffering and oppression.  A reasonable view of Reformed soteriology and theodicy should be very concerned with the everyday lives of women and the poor, and all persons. 

ANDERSON, RAY S. (2001) The Shape of Practical Theology, Downers Grove, Illinois, InterVarsity Press.

BROWN, ROBERT MCAFEE (1984) Unexpected News, Philadelphia, The Westminster Press.

GEBARA, IVONE (2002) Out of the Depths, Translated by Ann Patrick Ware, Minneapolis, Fortress Press. 


[1] Brown (1984: 34).
[2] Brown (1984: 34).
[3] Brown (1984: 41).
[4] Anderson (2001:181). 
[5] A good Christian witness will treat non-believers with love, care and respect.
[6] Brown (1984: 160-161).
[7] Brown (1984: 160-161).  Anderson (2001: 181).  The third world is also known as the developing world.
[8] Anderson reasons the Church needs to repent for wrong doing in its existence.  Anderson (2001: 180-181).
[9] Brown (1984: 160-161).
[10] Brown (1984: 14).  Gebara (2002: 107).
[11] Brown (1984: 14).
[12] Brown (1984: 14).

20 comments:

  1. After my work week late dinner...
    I head out to my parked car and notice a vehicle backed in, lights on and delaying leaving, next to my car forward in.
    To me it looked a little suspicious, so I put my hand in my pocket with one of my legal military 'springy' friends just in case.
    I approach my vehicle and the vehicle immediately pulls out and it looks like two Indians (Asian) inside. The driver rolls downs his window:
    'Do you know where Algorths is?' With an Indian accent.
    I reply, no sorry.
    They drive away quickly laughing loudly.
    So, I clue in immediately that he meant Hogwarts, but just has poor joke delivery skill, especially for after 12 am.
    And if he thinks I look like Harry Potter, I will definitely
    take that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More game playing.

    I post a vid on Facebook.

    Young woman (perhaps Secondary School or University), comments and lists two like friends.

    I thank her as I do all persons on the post and she likes my thanks and I notice a cool Christian orientated Facebook header with a lighted cross and heart on her profile.

    I do not comment to her other same age friends.

    If I as an older man could be such a threat, why list yourself and then two of your same aged friends?

    Not wise. Afterall, my age auto makes me a pervert right. Even with years of dedication to the Lord.

    The teen or early twenties using women's intuition knows better, do you?

    I state nice header photo and photos. She had one photo of self and friend. She is an attractive younger woman, and I realize from reading and experience the vast majority of younger women are too immature for an older man and not interested in an older man.

    Next thing I know, her profile disappears and via my Mom's Facebook I deduce I am now blocked.

    Points:

    Stating nice photos is not an indication that I was about to make a friend request, I was not.

    If you do some research I also like some male friends photo.

    I am not gay one bit...

    Be wise, if you do not want an older man interacting with you, don't initiate contact with him, don't hang around his internet profile so you appear as a stalker/lurker.

    I have 30+ women doing this and only half dialogue at all.

    This is feminism taken to an extreme. Consider the other person.

    The younger woman wants to dabble with the older man on her own terms and the older man is supposed to know exactly what she is thinking or else he is blocked and villainized.

    BTW, I removed her comments...

    If you really are drawn to older men, it is probably an indication, if you are in Christ, that you should probably yield to God and not man (family, society, friends) and cautiously interact with common sense asking the Holy Spirit for guidance.

    Trashing people and their profile is not showing Biblical love (1 John, John 15, Mark 12, Matt 22). Nor is it wise one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ԝonderfսl, what ɑ weblog it is! This web site gives helpful data
    to us, keep it up.

    Also visit my web sitе ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do they call it "chili" if it's hot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark - Duncan Spaeth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ireland - One race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever - Sigmund Freud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My children love my mother and I tell my children: "That is not the same woman I grew up with, that is an old woman trying to get into heaven now." - Bill Cosby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anger can be an expensive luxury - Italian Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood – H. L. Mencken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them - Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete
  13. In other words, get your head out of your...boxed thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte.

    ReplyDelete